11/11/11 Event?

JROFam

No, it is Armistice Day.

I am an advocate of Armistice Day, but I can't quite wrap my head around why there is such resistance to hosting events on that date. I haven't seen any hesitation to attend past Geowoodstocks which were held on Memorial Day, and/or Independence Day weekends. Geocaching, for me, is often a fairly spiritual experience, not unlike kayaking, (which I often refer to as "going to church"), giving me many moments to reflect on things important to me.

Given my natural love for Tolkien, and the importance his Hobbit characters placed on the number 11, our next Armistice day sounds like a perfect time to host an event.

No, it is Armistice Day.

I am an advocate of Armistice Day, but I can't quite wrap my head around why there is such resistance to hosting events on that date. I haven't seen any hesitation to attend past Geowoodstocks which were held on Memorial Day, and/or Independence Day weekends. Geocaching, for me, is often a fairly spiritual experience, not unlike kayaking, (which I often refer to as "going to church"), giving me many moments to reflect on things important to me.

Given my natural love for Tolkien, and the importance his Hobbit characters placed on the number 11, our next Armistice day sounds like a perfect time to host an event.

I don't get it either. I don't see why one can't celebrate multiple things on the same day. If "days" really are that scarce, then WHY OH WHY is there a Brittiny Spears day? Why waste 1 of 365 opportunities on her? Answer - you can celebrate other things on the same day as well...

November 11 is the holiday once known as Armistice Day, now usually called Veterans Day, at least in the U.S.. As a vet, I certainly have no objection to folks practicing their Constitutional Freedom Of Assembly on November 11 or any other day. That freedom thing, that's why we served and many continue to serve. Get together with you friends, talk about caching or freedom or raising ducks. Call it an event, a gathering or a pow-wow. Use those freedoms to celebrate freedom. If their are 11-11-11 events, I'll surely find one.

hairball