Gift memberships

Sissy-n-CR

I've been thinking about a First Finder's gift of a geocaching membership. Is there a way to do this? Is that subscription code only for the person that bought it?

Looking for a way to put a card in the cache and they can redeem it for a membership. Not looking to simply put cash in it. Oh, that reminds me, it'd have to be a way to extend the membership if they are already a member.

CR

72057_2000.gif

There's a "manual" process that I think could work for this:

• Send in a check to Groundspeak with a note explaining what you're doing - include a password or code for verification.

• Make a really nice certificate (I love doing things like that!) and marking an envelope plainly as "first finder prize".

• Include the password or code on the certificate

• The first finder e-mails Groundspeak with the information, and TPTB and they apply it to the proper account, be that as an extension or initial membership.

Cumbersome on the Groundspeak side, but nice for the finder. Groundspeak would probably want to automate the process if the idea really takes off. Kinda like they did with hitchhikers migrating to Travel Bugs.

Very nice idea, BTW.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I done that very thing this Christmas. I already had a membership myself and wanted to give a membership to a friend for Christmas. I emailed Jeremy and he told me to go ahead and use the NON-recurring membership PayPal button. I would receive an email from PayPal with the activation code in it. I did, they sent it and I gave the number to my friend. He logged onto Geocaching.com, went here and entered the activation code. Worked just fine.

In short, when PayPal sends you the activation code in an email print it, cut the top off with your email and id, then put the rest in the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty O Junk:

I done that very thing this Christmas.

Would this extend a membership? What about the dates? Is the year from the time the code is entered or when the payment went through? I'd hate to find out the membership ran concurrently with their other memebership.

I can foresee the gift being in the cache I'm planning for a long time. It's not nearly as bad as that 200' cold water dive cache, but it's going to be pretty tough.

CR

72057_2000.gif