Loading new maps into an Oregon using a Mac

I have an Oregon 450t and I want to add some Europe maps for an impending trip overseas.

I want to make sure I don't overwrite the maps that came with my Oregon 450t.

Here are the steps I've taken so far.

• I converted my maps (that were Garmin PC maps) using Garmin MapConverter so I can read them on my Mac.
  • I saved the maps on my Mac using Garmin Map Manager.

I believe the net step would be to install them using Garmin MapInstall. But I want to be 100% certain that I don't overwrite the maps that are already there.

My questions are:

•  

• Am I doing this correctly?
  • And, what do I do to NOT overwrite the maps that were preloaded on my 450t?

Am I doing this correctly?

• And, what do I do to NOT overwrite the maps that were preloaded on my 450t?

Sounds good so far. Take a look at the Oregon's storage, in the \Garmin directory. Watch out for files called gmapprom.img and gmapsupp.img. Those are the built-in maps (it's either one or both, don't remember, but you should be able to tell from the file size). Make a backup copy of those files, or better yet of everything on the storage drive, before you make any changes.

MapInstall will use one of those two file names as destination file when you install a new map, so this will overwrite any other files/maps with the same name. Rename those files to something else before you use MapInstall. Any filename with .img extension should do the trick. But remember, do this after you pull a backup.

Once you renamed those files out of the way, do the MapInstall thing. Then check the storage again and again rename the newly created .img file out of the way. Rename it to something else with an .img extension, something that tells you what it is.

I suggest you load the European maps on a SD Micro card. I have a 16gb class 4 SD Micro card installed within my Oregon 300 and I have a number of different maps available on the SD Micro Card.

I hope that answers your question.

How do I load maps on a micro card? Is this choice available when I use the Garmin MapInstall program?

Well, I'm at it again.

I want to install my Europe maps on my SD card.

When I open up MapInstall 4.0.1 for Mac it does not give me an option to install the maps on my SD card. When it says:

Please select the device that you want to install the maps on:

the only option is "Oregon 450t (Unit ID xxx) + SD Card.

There is no separate option to install on the SD card.

How to I install directly on the SD card and not in internal memory.

I am installing with a Mac.

Well, I'm at it again.

When I open up MapInstall 4.0.1 for Mac it does not give me an option to install the maps on my SD card. When it says:

Every time I have done this with MapInstall, it has always loaded the new maps to my uSD card without prompting. MapInstall has never installed to my GPS while a uSD card was present with sufficient space.

Also, MspInstall has never used the default gmapprom or gmapsupp file names when I use it. MapInstall always Auto Names my maps based on the name in the map file, and never overwrites my original files.

I do keep backup copies, just in case, but I have never needed to use them :)

I think you are on the right track!

Well, I'm at it again.

Every time I have done this with MapInstall, it has always loaded the new maps to my uSD card without prompting. MapInstall has never installed to my GPS while a uSD card was present with sufficient space.

Also, MspInstall has never used the default gmapprom or gmapsupp file names when I use it. MapInstall always Auto Names my maps based on the name in the map file, and never overwrites my original files.

I do keep backup copies, just in case, but I have never needed to use them :)

I think you are on the right track!

Thank you to Atlas Cached for this information.

It appears that Atlas Cached is saying that MapInstall always loads maps on the present SDHD card and never installs new pas on the GPSr. Thst sounds great. But, I have read references to Map Install having a pull-down menu that allows you to load on the GPSr OR the SDHD card.

I am looking in anyone's else's experience on this topic. Do maps AUTOMATICALLY get loaded onto your card OR do you have a choice of where to load them. My problem has been that I don't seem to have a choice. I have tried loading the maps onto my SDHD card using a card reader and/or when the card is inside my GPSr.

Yes, in previous versions of the MapInstall program you could choose to install to GPS or SD card separately. You are right, there was a drop-down box where the user could select where they wanted the maps sent. Now it seems as though Garmin has disabled this, with the only choice in the 4.01 version to install to both the GPS *and* the SD card. I just discovered this the hard way today -- did the upgrade and was going to add a couple more maps to the SD card in my 62s. Oops, guess not -- talk about frustrating! And MapInstall seems to want to re-install some perfectly fine maps, and if I un-check it then it wants to delete them.

So at the moment, until they (or if they) change this in a future update, you are out of luck. The only thing I can think to try would be removing your SD card from the GPS and putting it in an external card reader, then running MapInstall. At least then it wouldn't see the GPS unit. But I still wonder if it would try to delete or re-install existing maps. What a mess. :mad:

Yes, in previous versions of the MapInstall program you could choose to install to GPS or SD card separately. You are right, there was a drop-down box where the user could select where they wanted the maps sent. Now it seems as though Garmin has disabled this, with the only choice in the 4.01 version to install to both the GPS *and* the SD card. I just discovered this the hard way today -- did the upgrade and was going to add a couple more maps to the SD card in my 62s. Oops, guess not -- talk about frustrating! And MapInstall seems to want to re-install some perfectly fine maps, and if I un-check it then it wants to delete them.

So at the moment, until they (or if they) change this in a future update, you are out of luck. The only thing I can think to try would be removing your SD card from the GPS and putting it in an external card reader, then running MapInstall. At least then it wouldn't see the GPS unit. But I still wonder if it would try to delete or re-install existing maps. What a mess. :mad:

This never seems to get easy. For as long and Garmin has been around you would think there would be an easier way. I tried to load my old Trips Manager on my new MAC today and found out it was not compatable. Guess it's Base Camp.

Yeah, Garmin has always been pretty good on the hardware end of things, but the software side has had 'quirks' for as long as I can remember. No software product from any company is perfect, but there is definitely room for improvement here. (Although I'm sure the Garmin software folks are over-worked and under-staffed to begin with. I'm picturing something out of the movie "Office Space".)

A little OT: I wonder how much of this has to do with not wanting to compete with their own line of products. To allow end-users to load 3rd-party maps is one thing; making it relatively easy for them to do so is another. When I can download a topo map file for free off of GPS File Depot, why would I go and pay Garmin $99 for their own offering? My fear is that Garmin is starting to slip away from the central core of what they are good at -- making GPS units. I don't need my GPS to take pictures, play music, or update Facebook. Map products and software should be left to someone else.

Edited by Team Yeti

Apparently, this functionality is in the que, to be added at some unknown future date....

Apparently, this functionality is in the que, to be added at some unknown future date....

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm going to climb back up on the soapbox to vent a little more. This is so frustrating... and not only are you limited to the GPS + SD card route in MapInstall, but apparently when you do try to install new maps, it lumps them all together under a single .img file. No longer does the renaming trick work, either. So now you can't have individual map files giving you the ability individually turn various maps on or off. Your topo maps will overlay your street maps, which will overlay your trail maps, etc. It's an all or nothing approach. I tried using an external SD card reader, too, but that doesn't seem to be the solution.

:angry:

I don't have an Oregon, but i have eTrex 30 and use a MAC. I load multiple maps all with different names that can be enabled or disabled. Mapinstall is not very flexible. So this is how I do it.

I only use free maps from GPSFileDepot.com.

I select a single map set. For example, I select all of New Jersey topp and load it to the GPS. After it's loaded, I open Finder and I rename the file on the GPS to NJTopo.img. Next I load only New York topo. After it's loaded, I rename it to NYTopo.img.

I do this for the all of maps I want to load. I can create custom maps and as long as there different name, it's easy.

You can load maps directly to a Micro SD card without GPS connected as well.

1. connect your GPS to your MAC.

2. open finder and copy the garmindevice.xml file which resides in the GARMIN folder in the GPS Internal volume.

3. connect a SD card or USB flash drive, any kind of removable media works. I use a MICRO SD card and switch them in and out of the GPS when I want to change maps.

4. Create a "GARMIN" folder on the SD card and copy your garmindevice.xml into the GARMIN folder.

Disconnect your GPS form your mac.

Open Mapinstall and with your SD card connected to your MAC. Mapinstall will see the SD card as your GPS. B)

I'm going to climb back up on the soapbox to vent a little more. This is so frustrating... and not only are you limited to the GPS + SD card route in MapInstall, but apparently when you do try to install new maps, it lumps them all together under a single .img file. No longer does the renaming trick work, either. So now you can't have individual map files giving you the ability individually turn various maps on or off. Your topo maps will overlay your street maps, which will overlay your trail maps, etc. It's an all or nothing approach. I tried using an external SD card reader, too, but that doesn't seem to be the solution.

:angry:

Send one map set at a time, and they will be loaded into individual IMG files.