Instructions on downloading from Geocaching

Purchased a Lowrance Endura GPS for husband for Father's Day. He wants to use it for Geocaching. But, after hooking to computer and downloading software we can't get the "Save to GPS" from the Geocaching website to load onto the Lowrance GPS. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to load a cach site onto the GPS?

Thanks in advance.

The "send to website" function of the website is for Garmin, Magellan, and Delorme units. You will need a third prty software like GSAK to load PQ's, if you are a premium member. Otherwise you will need to manually enter them but I am not sure how to that on your unit.

Good luck

The "send to website" function of the website is for Garmin, Magellan, and Delorme units. You will need a third prty software like GSAK to load PQ's, if you are a premium member. Otherwise you will need to manually enter them but I am not sure how to that on your unit.

Good luck

No, Delorme and Lowrance are competitors.

The "Send to GPS" is not an option for Lowrance units. However, if he gets hooked on caching, the one-by-one loading would get tedious very quickly anyway, and he'll want to ante up for the premium membership at gc.com that allows for downloading Pocket Queries that contain lots of caches within an area. For THAT method, there's a way to get the file of caches loaded to the Lowrance fairly easily. The Lowrance is also supported directly for "field notes" - a way of taking notes entered in the field and uploading them during cache logging.

Edited by ecanderson

There's no "free" version of GSAK unless you have unlimited patience. There's only one version of the program.

It's better described as shareware/trialware without any features missing: After 21 days, a nag screen starts to appear on execution, and the length of the nag grows longer and longer with each day of unpaid use. Eventually, it would get to where you could brew coffee while waiting for it.

It's still worth every penny of whatever Clyde is asking for it (I think it's still $25). To the O.P. -- it will not only make a convenient way for you to load caches to your unit, it has macros that allow for such goodies as adding attributes as the first log entry, comparing your finds to a friends to see what you both still need to find, and a pile of other useful tools that you may or may not ever use, but are there if you do.

Edited by ecanderson

I also would recommend getting a premium membership and using GSAK to download the caches into the GPS. GSAK has a free version you can use so all you really have to pay for is the premium membership. Failing that you can just also use GSAK to download the caches one by one as well.

why bother with GSAK when you can just drag and drop the PQ into the GPS? :blink:

If the place you got it has a return policy the best thing to do is return it and get a Garmin. While there are other devices being used for caching 95% or higher of the people I run into have a Garmin.

GSAK provides many functions outside of just sending to the GPS. For starters I run the "last 2 dnf" filter and delete those. No sense going after them. That is just one of the features that make it so successful.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I also would recommend getting a premium membership and using GSAK to download the caches into the GPS. GSAK has a free version you can use so all you really have to pay for is the premium membership. Failing that you can just also use GSAK to download the caches one by one as well.

why bother with GSAK when you can just drag and drop the PQ into the GPS? :blink:

Ya you can do that too. I actually think it's easier and quicker to use GSAK because I can do it do it with three clicks.

1. Click the gsk file in my email which opens it in GSAK.

2. Click "ok" to import.

3. Click the "send to gps" button I have on the toolbar.

It's all personal preference I guess.

Ya you can do that too. I actually think it's easier and quicker to use GSAK because I can do it do it with three clicks.

1. Click the gsk file in my email which opens it in GSAK.

2. Click "ok" to import.

3. Click the "send to gps" button I have on the toolbar.

It's all personal preference I guess.

sounds easy but you're not telling how you get to have a .gsk file in your email...PQ's don't come in such extensions and only PQ's with 500 caches or less are emailed in a zip file, anything over is a direct download...so i don't see how is your method easier than:

1.unzip

2.drag and drop

it definitely is a matter of personal choice and i consider myself computer literate but i found GSAK to be quite a PITA to learn to use it, while it is a powerful tool once you get the hang of it is not exactly a program that is aimed at those with average computer knowledge

so suggesting it to people that are not even familiar with "unzip" and "drag and drop" a file is only going to frustrated them even more

Works for Garmin, but does it work that way for Lowrance???

yes it does

All three Endura models come pre-loaded with paperless geocaching features that are easy to navigate and understand. Capabilities include:

loading GPX or LOC cache files on the GPS

displaying every detail needed including cache size, terrain difficulty, description and hints

easy and effective navigation to each cache location.

filter the geocache list based on size, cache type, terrain and difficulty.