OSM

eusty

I've been using OSM for a while, thanks to talkytoaster's Garmin maps, but never really looked into adding to them.

Last night I thought I'd have a go and spent ages adding paths/rivers/marking areas nearby to me which are not on them, and I have to admit it was very therapeutic!! Plus there's the 'feel good' factor of helping out the community :)

So if you use OSM then why not look into having a go at adding to them?

I've been using OSM for a while, thanks to talkytoaster's Garmin maps, but never really looked into adding to them.

Last night I thought I'd have a go and spent ages adding paths/rivers/marking areas nearby to me which are not on them, and I have to admit it was very therapeutic!! Plus there's the 'feel good' factor of helping out the community :)

So if you use OSM then why not look into having a go at adding to them?

It is very easy to do and the community of OSM editors is slowly growing in the UK. I always add any missing tracklog data to OSM every time I go walking, cycling or caching (which allows me to add missing footpaths, bridleways, roads, etc.) As mentioned before I have both OSM and OS maps on my Oregon 200, but to be honest 99% of the time I use OSM as it works better for me even when out in the countryside miles from the nearest town or village.

Go on get involved, it isn't difficult and you might just find it addictive; as if you need another addiction in your life than geocaching ;)

Regards,

Martin

Never done this, but when I don't have the sat nav I use an app on the phone that uses OSM... got to say it's almost as good as the sat nav!

How easy is it to put a road in? Do you have to plot it on GPS and measure how wide it is etc?

Not many it doesn't know... and remarkably if navigated me out of traffic, down some farm tracks and saved me half an hour when all other sat navs (and online maps) show 3 dead end tracks instead of a T-junction. Think the latter fact may be deliberate as HGV would have no height problems... but would definitely get stuck, probably permanently! Guessing that an OSM user is responsible for the route being in the system.

It's dead easy!! They have a Bing satellite map as an underlay, you can add the roads etc on top of that. there are a couple of villages near me that had only a few roads on, so my mission was to complete them.

It's very addictive, you look at the map and notice that there is a road/path not there and you can add it, then look for more....

I always upload my tracks now. Simply upload the track .GPX file from the GPS, look at the map in edit mode in your browser, click on the paths that your track shows you walked on, then assign it a path type (generic path, bridleway, footpath, etc.) then click save.

I did a blog post about it all a little while ago as a few friends only had basemaps on their Garmins so I figured I'd make it public rather than just emailing them. It runs through contributing to the OSM site as well.

It's dead easy!! They have a Bing satellite map as an underlay, you can add the roads etc on top of that. there are a couple of villages near me that had only a few roads on, so my mission was to complete them.

It's very addictive, you look at the map and notice that there is a road/path not there and you can add it, then look for more....

Sounds good to me... Thanks!