GPSmap 60 CSX

I'm looking to replace my Magellan Triton 400, which I just discovered is NOT waterproof. I've been looking at the Garmin GPSmap 60 csx, but can't seem to get a straight answer re: whether this unit is paperless or not. My definition of paperless = able to download caches from Geocaching.com along with enough cache details to be useful.

Any help on this issue, or any thoughts/opinions about the 60 csx would be much appreciated.

I have owned three different 60csx units at different times, and it really is a super GPS. However, it is cumbersome at best for geocaching, not at all "paperless". I used to think paperless wasn't that necessary, but the more I use my GPSMap 62S the more I like paperless geocaching. I do still have to print out some GCs (ones where pictures and / or graphics) are important, because they don't come through to the 62S), but that's a small percentage.

As you've heard, it's not paperless on its own, but maybe with an app on your phone...

I'm still using a 2003 GPSmap 60CS as my handheld. I haven't replaced it because it's left me for want of nothing. Although, the NOAA warnings on the RINO 655t are looking very interesting...

My definition of paperless = able to download caches from Geocaching.com along with enough cache details to be useful.

Any help on this issue, or any thoughts/opinions about the 60 csx would be much appreciated.

Only you can decide what is "useful" to you. Take a look at the GSAK macro and decide if its enough for you. You can always check/uncheck as many things as you deem "useful". Hints, no problem as not many go over the 80 character limit of a POI page. Description, logs it gets messy with multi POI pages.

I'm looking to replace my Magellan Triton 400, which I just discovered is NOT waterproof. I've been looking at the Garmin GPSmap 60 csx, but can't seem to get a straight answer re: whether this unit is paperless or not. My definition of paperless = able to download caches from Geocaching.com along with enough cache details to be useful.

We have owned a 60 csx for a number of years now and it has done very well for geocaching as well as other uses.

Plenty of memory for multiple maps with a 4 gig sd micro card. Paperless only to the point of being to download minimum information i.e GC codes. It will keep track of caches as well. For the money still the best in my opinion. If paperless is important id go with the Garmin 62 stc all the bells and whistles, You get what you pay for./j

On ours we use GSAK to name it like

Waypoint Name: 2EHQ8/Tra/S

Which is: The GC code without the "GC" prefix/Traditional/Small

Comment: (1.5/2)LandBridge(Lf:FFFF)Hahfhny cvyr bs ebpxf haqre gur ebpx yrqtr.

Which is: (Difficulty/Terrain)SmartName(did the last four people find it?)encrypted hint

It works for impulse caching and quick reference, but we also use an ipod nano for full cache descriptions on dedicated caching trips.

Edited by d+n.s