Community Adoption of Caches

There is a CO in our area that put out a several caches back in 2006. Many of us who cache in this area have only been at it since early 2010. This particular CO has apparently quit caching, does not answer emails, and hasn't logged in for over a year. Many of his caches have become archived. Now, on to my question...

In Tennessee, there is now a law about caches in cemeteries. I know of at least 3 of his that are in local cemeteries, the law doesn't apply to them (grandfathered in), they need maintenance, and he just ain't gonna do it. If they are archived, they cannot be replaced. We have a decent little community of cachers here, so should we "adopt" his cemetery caches so they will continue? Thanks for any input.

Also, I know there are similar threads, but I wanted everyone's opinion about this specific situation. Thanks.

You cannot officially adopt them. Groundspeak has stated loudly and clearly that the original cache owner must approve of any adoption. That does not mean that, as a community, you can't continue to maintain those caches unofficially, but you will need to set up some sort of communication among you that are willing to help out. We had something like that here for a while for a well-known and popular cacher that had passed on. For a couple of years, local cachers maintained his hides, but eventually, those local cachers also faded out, and now, this once beloved cachers is now the deceased owner of a number of caches that really should probably be archived. Keep that in mind, if you do this.

No - your heart is in the right place but please don't. Caches need owners that can respond to email concerns from the website and land managers, reset the maintenance flag when necessary, provide hints, edit the page, make updates to coordinates and more. The community cannot do any of those things.

Sometimes it is just time to let the cache listing go. If you ask the cemetery manager for specific permission, I think you may be able to get a new cache in place.

Edited by StarBrand

Thanks so far. One note: doesn't matter about the manager, no caching in cemeteries in TN.

Is that state/government law? Or Groundspeak/local reviewer guideline?)

Over here in the UK caches in Churchyards/Cemeteries now have to have explicit permission, and the name and contact details of the permission giver sent to the reviewer.

Caches already in place are Grandfathered in.

If the place is worth visiting, you could always make a short multi from information available on site, and place the cache a short distance away.

It is a state/government law. Sucks, but hey we have some really dumb politicians in our state capitol... (I'm a teacher). There have been some placed in the area that are just over the 1/10 mile the law requires away. Just not the same. Thanks, guys.

Is that state/government law? Or Groundspeak/local reviewer guideline?)

Here is the applicable law. I am not sure how anything can be grandfathered, but reliable sources say that it is true.

Tennessee Cemetery & Burial Site Laws

Statutory Laws

(Tennessee Code Annotated)

Title 46. Cemeteries

46-2-105. Crimes and offenses

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

A violation of this section is a Class E felony. ,

Class E Felony 1 to 6 years $3,000