Beer Bottle Cap Geocache How to?

I agree. Without going so far as to rank communities, we definitely can do better!

Suggestion: everyone who reads this, go out of your way to be helpful/kind on this forum for the next month and we'll see if it sticks.

Have a great day!

Reading your post, I wasn't sure what you were agreeing with, since sbell111 is the one person on my Ignore List in the forums, so I clicked on the little linky that shows me the post anyways. I found it quite the ironic post since he made it onto that list by continuously baiting me into arguments. Just sayin'...
35mm film cannisters still have these beat. nothings cheaper than free :anitongue:
I agree both in price and water tightness. Those tubes do ware out faster then a film can.
I think that the operative word here is cheaper. Here's some of the definitions:
cheap:
  • Relatively low in cost; inexpensive or comparatively inexpensive
  • Of poor quality; inferior
  • Worthy of no respect; vulgar or contemptible

I have yet to find a film can that has been in an unsheltered location for very long that didn't have a wet log. Don't do it. Come to think of it, a beer cap will fit inside a film can, so it's waaay to big to be used for the hide the OP is asking about. Regardless, if the centrifuge containers are cheaper yet more expensive than the film cans, they too are a poor choice.

The one like this that I have seen has already been described: Nano epoxied to the bottom of the cap. I would also recommend the suggestion that you have some way to assure that the cache doesn't travel, like the idea of the small tube pushed into the ground that the nano rests inside. The version of this that I saw didn't have that at the time I found it. The cache owner was there and it took us both 15 mins to come up with the container. It disappeared a second time before he put in a tube to hold it. No troubles since.

Personally, I think there's too much trash along the trails already. Disguising a geocache as a piece of trash just seems to me to be a very bad idea.

What happens when some group comes along and does a clean-up day? I see two possibilities. One would be for the cache to go missing after they toss it in with the rest of the bottle caps and other trash.

But a worse possibility is that some trash-cleaner-upper picks up the cache, notices that it isn't just an ordinary bottle cap, and reads the stash note. What kind of impression does that make? Your "trash cash" could undo the goodwill of numerous CITO efforts.

Personally, I think there's too much trash along the trails already. Disguising a geocache as a piece of trash just seems to me to be a very bad idea.

What happens when some group comes along and does a clean-up day? I see two possibilities. One would be for the cache to go missing after they toss it in with the rest of the bottle caps and other trash.

But a worse possibility is that some trash-cleaner-upper picks up the cache, notices that it isn't just an ordinary bottle cap, and reads the stash note. What kind of impression does that make? Your "trash cash" could undo the goodwill of numerous CITO efforts.

Yes, I agree. Though it does seem like a good idea at first, when you think about it, there's a better way to do it. Bottlecaps aren't the best idea for a cache. And I don't know if a bottle cap would fit over the top of a 35mm container seeing as the other containers mentioned on this thread were marked as not sturdy enough...

Oh caches disguised as trash is a topic that has been beaten to death over the years. Generally, I'm not a fan of them, although I did find a nicely done phony coffee cup cache once. Who bumped this thread? For what it's worth, the OP is local to me, the thread is almost a month old, and there is no beer bottle cap cache (yet). :lol:

I've found a few of these, and it was a nice, different hide...the first time. Then, as you find more of them, you realize they are sneaky, but often poorly sealed, broken lids, or hidden in a pile of other trash.

So, to answer the question, PLEASE be sure to do what it takes to choose a container to attach under the cap that is watertight (or seals well), durable, and stands up to abuse. There is nothing worse than finding more and more poorly maintained or thought out caches.

Placement is key. Hints are handy, and construction of a good container will make other cachers happy, and keep you on fewer maintenance visits!

Win-win-win-win-win.

Good luck with your construction!

Saw a really nice idea implemented in the Nor'west. Take something which normally exists on the ground, aside of litter and use it to hide a cache. I dislike the idea of using something which will look like trash (and possibly be picked up by a decent sort.) Glue a rock to the top, screw a piece of wood or bark to it (just be sure to put some silicone sealant around any punctures in the container top to keep water from coming in that way.)

Hey guys, It's me camping101. This is my first post here on the forums and I just wanted to know if you guys could teach me how to make a beer bottle cap geocache? In the end it should look like this but with a beer bottle cap. ----> http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Loose-Change-Geocaching-Containers-Evil-Cache-/320706733469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab9c659d

Thanks,

camping101

I don't know, but since you're local to me, thanks for the warning about the cache. :P

Well, I don't know what those clear tubes shown in the picture are called, but I've seen many of them used as caches. Once you got a hold of one of them, I would have to say the greatest glue for attaching a beer bottle cap to the lid would be GorillaGlue, followed closely by any 2-part epoxy system, where you mix up the 2 parts with a little stirer.

I've been planning to make these as part of a CITO event :). The pointy containers (that could stick in the ground) are Centrifuge Containers, used by chemists when placing substances into a centrifuge, a machine which causes denser substances to seperate from the less dense substances. They are also used in blood banks. When CITO'ing, you can pick up some old beer bottle caps (so the cache is trickier to find), clean them with boiling water, let them dry, then gorrila glue or super-glue them to the top of the centrifuge containers.

You can buy these here., or if you know a chemist, or faculty at a chemistry department at a college or university, they certainly would give you some.

I would recommend these because they are low-cost and are pointed at the end for easier placement.

Edited by maxwell.conte