FYI - Canada Post is on Strike

MoonCatKDT & Peanut

Not entirely true. At the moment, only workers in Winnipeg are on strike. I'm sure there will be a slowdown in service in other parts of the country, but letter carriers and other staff are still on the job. The plan seems to be to have a rotating strike with one centre shut down each day. This will certainly slow cross-country shipping and there will be no service at all for the area affected that day. But coins will still be delivered. For now.

I think the title says it all, Canada Post went on strike beginning at 12:01am this morning. Read this link for more.

Anything in the mail will remain in the same spot until the strike is over and anything else sent will end up in a big pile at the border/post office until a settlement can be reached.

Canada Post Strike

Just FYI

Let the Kitchin Sink know when it's over...We're also on Strike.

Best line of the news coverage so far:

"Plants are jammed with mail right now…basically it looks like they filled the facilities with mail and then locked the door, with no regard for the customer at all."

They also are saying that Canada Post didn't forsee the amount of decline in volumes and revenue, and thats why they forced the lockout.

Ummm, HELLO! When Canada Post goes on strike, i'm going to think twice before putting something into the mail- who knows when it will get there???!

That is exactly what they did -- and had to do. They emptied all collection boxes and dealer locations and took the mail to secure warehouses. They sealed the streetside boxes so no more mail could be put in and dealer locations are not allowed to accept any mail.

In the eight days of rotating strikes Canada Post lost close to $100 million dollars while still having to pay employee wages. If they didn't lock employees out, taxpayer money would have to be used to bail them out.

I'm hoping the union smartens up and realizes that they're not going to get a better deal.

If in 8 days the loses were $100,000,000

Is Canada post really hurting for profit.

I do not want to get in a labor relations debate, but does that mean under normal operations in 8 days they would bring in a hundred million

That's $12,500,000 per day or $4,562,500,000 in a year ? Trillion's people

If in 8 days the loses were $100,000,000

Is Canada post really hurting for profit.

I do not want to get in a labor relations debate, but does that mean under normal operations in 8 days they would bring in a hundred million

That's $12,500,000 per day or $4,562,500,000 in a year ? Trillion's people

I'm sure the company bean counters figured absolutely everything they could think of into that number. Like wages and benefits of idle employees, ammortized cost of idle machinery and unused buildings, insurance costs of unused vehicles, etc. But mail volume decreased drastically while the rotating strikes were going on and if a few companies scrapped national letterbox ad campaigns that would be a few million in lost revenue. And those were 8 business days too, not calendar days. :)

Moot point though. It sounds like the government is going to force everyone back to work next week and may arbitrate a settlement.

The USPS is now refusing to accept any mail bound for Canada. So any shipments going to Canada won't be able to be mailed unless an alternate expensive service like UPS or FedEx is used.

Will someone from Canada please post in this thread as soon as the lanes have been reopened?

The government is tabling legislation at 3:00pm this afternoon that would force them back to work. They hope to have it read, discussed and passed by Thursday (because Parliament is shutting down for the summer on Thursday). It would then go to the Senate for assent and CP would have to resume work immediately after that.

On the other hand, the union and employer are back at the negotiating table. If they are able to come to an agreement, it would have to be written up, translated, ratified by the membership and then they would resume work immediately after that.

Either way it is going to be next week before we have mail service again.

The USPS is now refusing to accept any mail bound for Canada. So any shipments going to Canada won't be able to be mailed unless an alternate expensive service like UPS or FedEx is used.

Will someone from Canada please post in this thread as soon as the lanes have been reopened?

I was in the Post Office today, when they were posting signs they would not accept any mail going north until the situation is settled.

I will be following this thread too. To see when things open back up.

Wow, how unlucky am I? I finally after 3 months have a place to call home...and a mailbox! Now Canada Post is on strike....so still no coin mail!

Having seen how cool the posties are in Australia (they get scooters!) I would strike too if I was a Canada postie...they still hoof it!

Still....I can't wait to get that first coin mail. I wonder what it will be?

USPS.com's webpage:

Canadian Postal Employees Return-To- Work Tonight - USPS To Begin Accepting Mail Destined For Canada Tomorrow

The Canadian government passed back-to-work legislation Sunday night. Canadian Postal employees will return to work beginning June 27 at 8:30 p.m. USPS will begin accepting mail for Canada starting June 28. Mail held in the USPS network since the work stoppage began is being released and transported into Canada.

Due to the large volumes of mail held by countries, customers may experience slightly longer transit times. USPS is working closely with the Canadian Postal Service to hold delays to a minimum.

(Mooncat, this means your package is going to be delayed from me as I'll not going to be able to get it out today as hoped, and no idea when later on this week I'll be able to get it mailed out.)