"Watch" a Cacher

Team Van Dyk

So, you can "watch" a cache listing, and you can "watch" a trackable, but can you "watch" a cacher such that you're sent emails when their logs are uploaded to the site? This may seem like a strange question, but a friend and I both cache at oddball times when we have free moments in our days (which can occur without notice) and both of us log our finds (or DNFs, as the case may be) in realtime. So, instead of emailing each other to find out when the other is out, it would be easier if we just got automated emails informing each other of the other's logs (which, since we log them in realtime, would indicate the other is out and about).

I could see how this could be "misused" (to put it gently), so I'm not sure I'd even suggest it be implemented as a "feature" if it's not already, but if it is available, I'd like to know how to turn it on.

Thanks!

--Matt

I doubt that kind of thing would ever be implemented due to the possible stalking it could attract.

Your trying to prevent coordinating through emails and just getting a notification right. Well notifications come to you through email. Why not shoot an email to each other any time your out caching. Be pretty much the same as getting a notification. If composing an email is too much then get on Twitter. A simple tweet saying your caching will send them a notification through twitter. How hard it is to punch in a couple of words and hitting send while your on your way out the door?

So, you can "watch" a cache listing, and you can "watch" a trackable, but can you "watch" a cacher such that you're sent emails when their logs are uploaded to the site? This may seem like a strange question, but a friend and I both cache at oddball times when we have free moments in our days (which can occur without notice) and both of us log our finds (or DNFs, as the case may be) in realtime. So, instead of emailing each other to find out when the other is out, it would be easier if we just got automated emails informing each other of the other's logs (which, since we log them in realtime, would indicate the other is out and about).

I could see how this could be "misused" (to put it gently), so I'm not sure I'd even suggest it be implemented as a "feature" if it's not already, but if it is available, I'd like to know how to turn it on.

Thanks!

--Matt

I thought this already existed, but it never worked for me. If you were to become friends on gc.com, it would send you notifications whenever your friends log a listing. I thought this was true, as other cachers have told me this, but for me it never worked.

Thanks!

--Matt

you both obviously have some kind of cell phone, what's wrong with sending an SMS or calling?

I thought this already existed, but it never worked for me. If you were to become friends on gc.com, it would send you notifications whenever your friends log a listing. I thought this was true, as other cachers have told me this, but for me it never worked.

no such feature ever existed

Edited by t4e

If you both have smartphones and log from your "apps", you can link each phone to a twitter account, follow the other's twitter account (either through SMS or through the "app") and tell the geocaching "app" to post the field notes to twitter. Sounds complicated, but is a good system once set up.

Edited by dfx

If you both have smartphones and log from your "apps", you can link each phone to a twitter account, follow the other's twitter account (either through SMS or through the "app") and tell the geocaching "app" to post the field notes to twitter. Sounds complicated, but is a good system once set up.

This is exactly what we ended up doing. Thanks!

I geostalk my brother when he is on vacation. Seek a cache. Found by username.

Unfortunately the recent site update somewhat messes this up. The caches show up out of order and the "last found" date doesn't correspond to when that user has found it.

I'm glad there's not an option to watch a user. Can you imagine being able to pinpoint those out-of-the-way trails that particular users might be walking in real time? I try not to hike alone as much as possible, but adding cyberstalkers to the potential issues would take this hobby right out of my hands for sure. Been stalked before, that was enough, thanks.

I'm glad of that too. We joined up as a family, on an email of mine, so when Mr F is abroad I get emails when he logs a cache find which is great. I am beginning to wonder about us having separate accounts at some time, and was wondering how we could avoid losing the connection, thanks.