Dakota 20 powers on from USB

Hello,

I have had my GPSr for about a year now and am fairly happy with it.

And the last week it has began to do something odd. When I plug the USB connector into the device, it will turn on. It will be functional just as if I had powered it on or plugged it into a power plug, like the cigarette lighter plug. But it only does this once in a while.

I don't disdain this problem. But it would be nice to be able to control when it allows me to access it's folders and when it just powers itself on. (as I cannot access the folders when it is powered on, likewise I cannot turn it on when it is in folder access mode.)

I don't believe this is normal behavior. Has anybody else heard of this?

Ane what's with this "spanner" mode?

From the Oregon wiki..but the same for most Garmin products...recent ones anyway :)

You can change the Oregon's behavior when it is plugged into a cable that isn't designed for charging it(i.e. a computer or USB power adapter) by changing the Interface setting to Garmin Spanner (Setup>System>Interface).

With this setting enabled the Oregon will ask if you want to go into USB mass storage mode when you connect to the cable. If you answer "No" the Oregon will remain on, work like a GPS and draw power from the computer's USB port.

You cannot transfer data to/from the Oregon in this mode, it is primarily used for tracking applications.