Search Options

Is it possible to search for caches within a single county? If I only want a list of Norfolk caches how exactly do I do this from the search menu?

I don't believe it's possible using the Groundspeak search options.

Your best bet would be to limit your search to Eastern England, then use GSAK to filter out anything not in Norfolk....?

I don't believe it's possible using the Groundspeak search options.

Your best bet would be to limit your search to Eastern England, then use GSAK to filter out anything not in Norfolk....?

What he said would be the best way. But if you do not use GSAK you could pick a cache in Norfolk and generate a PQ from it, maybe find a cache in Cromer and then load all caches within 30 miles or so? It might pick up a few in other counties but the residents of Suffolk are friendly from memory, although I would watch out for those in Lincolnshire :lol:

Best way to get all Norfolk caches is probably by radius from the center. So the centroid of Norfolk just South East of East Dereham roughly Badley Moor, an open access site, 52°39.966'N, 0°58.534'E. Therefore a radius of 34 miles should do it. The earliest still living cache in Norfolk I think was placed on 24-8-2001, Holkham Haul, GC1984. With a little bit of work the dates for PQ's can easily be worked out.

What a load of useless information I drag around!

Regards

Bernard

Nope... best we have is an vague area of the UK.

Then you'll miss all the caches placed before the regions were put in.. ie when we were simply UK.

Also if it's anything like here, you'll miss the ones set by people who don't know where they live. Half of the hiders near me list as "North West" whilst the cache is in Derbyshire, in the East Midlands!

So you're much better off searching from a Lat/Long.

Best way to get all Norfolk caches is probably by radius from the center. So the centroid of Norfolk just South East of East Dereham roughly Badley Moor, an open access site, 52°39.966'N, 0°58.534'E. Therefore a radius of 34 miles should do it. The earliest still living cache in Norfolk I think was placed on 24-8-2001, Holkham Haul, GC1984. With a little bit of work the dates for PQ's can easily be worked out.

What a load of useless information I drag around!

Regards

Bernard

I'm impressed... were you ever on "... the quiz of the week" by any chance.

Good info... thinking of maintaining an "oldest of the county" list for those who don't just want to be FTF!

Is it possible to search for caches within a single county? If I only want a list of Norfolk caches how exactly do I do this from the search menu?

Can you please explain how is this done? As far as I can see the UK county is not a field in the GSAK database.

Edited by Phil100

GSAK will allow County's to be added.

There is an additional County column.

There is a macro* CountryStateCounty.gsk which will add Country, State**, and County.

* Useful when cachers don't know which County, or especially Region, their cache is placed... <_<

**UK Region

Edited by Bear and Ragged

There is a macro* CountryStateCounty.gsk which will add Country, State**, and County.

* Useful when cachers don't know which County, or especially Region, their cache is placed... <_<

**UK Region

Thanks B and R, I shall try this! I have to admit macros are new territory for me!! :unsure:

**UK Region

Thanks B and R, I shall try this! I have to admit macros are new territory for me!! :unsure:

On Import files, check out:County update and State update. IF the info is added by the cache owner, it will be added to the cache page. I have mine set to YB for County and S for State.

Run the macro and if the column is empty, or has Nil, it will be filled in by the correct information.