Can't get into Geocaching.com Discussion

hutchca

I was having trouble a lot recently, too. Then I logged out of GC.com and closed the IE window. Then I opened a new window and deleted the temp internet files (TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, DELETE FILES). Now everything is working smooth for me.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Check that you're logged into the forums. I've found recently that I have to log in or it won't let me into the Geocaching.com discussion group. Didn't seem to have the problem before but, since the server upgrade, when I go into the forums through GC.com I have to click on the login link or I can't get into this forum (same reason why you don't see the last message - it's a forum where you have to be logged in to read it - although I have absolutely no idea why it should be treated any different from any other forum - Jeremy?)

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

quote:
Originally posted by Hard Oiler:

(although I have absolutely no idea why it should be treated any different from any other forum - Jeremy?)

To comment or read comments on Geocaching.com, the least you have to do is be a member. That's why this is the only forum you need to be a member to read.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Usually, but not always, I have to log on to the Forum Page. I could understand if it was always one way or the other. I can also understand having to log on to the Forum Page, rather than it being automatic (to show who was actually logged in). Just curious about the random nature of it.

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

I think the forums automatically add a cookie to your browser when you log in, so in many situations you'll be logged in here and not on the web site. If you log into the web site and check the box to also log into the forums, it should work every time.

We don't force logins to the forums in order to make sure that in the case that the forums are down (which we don't directly control), the geocaching.com site still functions.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck & Kris:

The "Geocaching.com Discussion" forum is frequently unavailable.

Is anyone else noticing this?

I occassionally get a "URL Redirection Limit Exceeded" or some such message. I'm not sure if it's coming from Mozilla or what (it's a standard you-died OK button windows dialog). Generally if I hold off a few minutes and try again, it works fine. It never bothered me enough to go figure out what exactly why something is complaining... Probably some paranoid security setting somewhere??