Placing caches advice please

I have an idea for a Multi Cache which will tell an interesting historical story taking in several beautiful locations in the process. However the start and end points could well be over 50 miles apart. Is this distance allowed? I can see nothing that tells me it's not but I don't know if anyone knows any different?

I also want to place a cache on an island that is only accessible by boat. There are daily boat trips to the island in question but obviously all will cost money. Again I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem as long as I'm not trying to flog tickets for any of the boat trip companies but just grateful for advice, things to consider etc.

I have an idea for a Multi Cache which will tell an interesting historical story taking in several beautiful locations in the process. However the start and end points could well be over 50 miles apart. Is this distance allowed? I can see nothing that tells me it's not but I don't know if anyone knows any different?

Yes, it's allowed. In your cache page description, it would be a good idea to let cachers know that they're in for a long distance hunt, or give them some indication of the time to complete the whole multi.

I also want to place a cache on an island that is only accessible by boat. There are daily boat trips to the island in question but obviously all will cost money. Again I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem as long as I'm not trying to flog tickets for any of the boat trip companies but just grateful for advice, things to consider etc.

Boats to islands are usually OK, but run it past your local reviewer to check first.

MrsB

Yes, it's allowed. In your cache page description, it would be a good idea to let cachers know that they're in for a long distance hunt, or give them some indication of the time to complete the whole multi.

Boats to islands are usually OK, but run it past your local reviewer to check first.

MrsB

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'll certainly check with my reviewer regarding the boat/island one.

There are other permissions I'll need in order to get a cache placed here as well but I reckon it'll be totally worth it if I get that permission!!

MrsB

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'll certainly check with my reviewer regarding the boat/island one.

There are other permissions I'll need in order to get a cache placed here as well but I reckon it'll be totally worth it if I get that permission!!

Post all of the permissions into a reviewer note before you submit it, it'll save a bit of time.

Post all of the permissions into a reviewer note before you submit it, it'll save a bit of time.

Yes I will, thanks. To be honest there is no guarantee I'll get permission. It's the National Trust I have to approach about it, hopefully they'll agree to a micro cache being placed on their land but we'll see.

If you are not already familiar with the map resources we reviewers use then MapIt! lets you enter coordinates to give you OS maps (Streetmap) and MagicMapIt to give you the MAGIC map which shows the NT land area (and other areas where permission is required. When the maps open you can email that URL to the NT so they can see exactly where your cache will be. Click here to find out more about the MAGIC map.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

Before you approach the National Trust scout out the location and get the coordinates and convert them to OS grid, which is what they'll require. Then provide them with an exact description of where you'd like to put the cache.

Which island btw? Just that if there isn't any caches there at the moment there may well be a reason for that!