Printing Problems

tomnina

When we try to print a map of our desired caches the map prints but the caches, which we number, are incomplete. This never happened in the old version. Is this happening to anyone else? Have you solved the problem? thanks!

Define incomplete? I'm not sure I understand.

When we try to print a map of our desired caches the map prints but the caches, which we number, are incomplete. This never happened in the old version. Is this happening to anyone else? Have you solved the problem? thanks!

Define incomplete? I'm not sure I understand.

Before the "upgrade" we could select a map, number the caches on the map, print the map and the accompanying caches and we would use the map and the listed caches as our guide for finding the listed caches. With the new version we can print the map but some of the caches in a printed , i.e., listed form do not print. Example, we print a map with 8 caches, but on the text only 6 caches appear. I hope this helps. We have used pocket queries many times but we have also used a map and printed the map with caches many times. Now we cannot.

On Windows 7 or Vista...try the snipping tool!! Open a copy of Word and create your own printable map!

But to answer your original post...I think they have changed the maps for good. I am still try to figure out the best attack to do a printout for an area. With the snipping tool, you can copy and paste the main map and created a numbers legend.

I usually print out numbered maps, too (using the old "original" maps, not the Beta maps--there's a link to the old maps on the Beta map page).

I just tried it for the three caches I intend to get tomorrow. While all three caches show up just fine on the actual map, the list of cache names (which used to print to the right of the map, but now print underneath the map) only has one of the three caches listed. So we've lost our numbered "lists," but the map itself prints ok. In fact, the map itself prints larger (wider) than it used to, which I kind of like (before the update, any caches on the far right side of the map (showing on the computer screen) were cut off the printed version (or at least on my WindowsXP/printer combination they were).

I'm just going to hand write the numbered list on there and call it good. If they do delete the old "original" maps, then I'll have to figure out how to do a screenshot or something because the Beta maps don't print right at all. Not a problem until/unless they take away the old maps.

I usually print out numbered maps, too (using the old "original" maps, not the Beta maps--there's a link to the old maps on the Beta map page).

I just tried it for the three caches I intend to get tomorrow. While all three caches show up just fine on the actual map, the list of cache names (which used to print to the right of the map, but now print underneath the map) only has one of the three caches listed. So we've lost our numbered "lists," but the map itself prints ok. In fact, the map itself prints larger (wider) than it used to, which I kind of like (before the update, any caches on the far right side of the map (showing on the computer screen) were cut off the printed version (or at least on my WindowsXP/printer combination they were).

I'm just going to hand write the numbered list on there and call it good. If they do delete the old "original" maps, then I'll have to figure out how to do a screenshot or something because the Beta maps don't print right at all. Not a problem until/unless they take away the old maps.

For three caches, I would just draw a map. And like you I would just pen it in. In the field I can use the map in the PN-40 also. You can get a "snipping tool" for XP as well. [which is a better screen shot tool..google it]

For three caches, I would just draw a map. And like you I would just pen it in. In the field I can use the map in the PN-40 also. You can get a "snipping tool" for XP as well. [which is a better screen shot tool..google it]

Thanks to all for your responses, we appreciate it. Here's the question(s). When will the Beta maps replace the old maps completely? Will the Beta maps ever have the capability to add numbers to the caches ( a very handy capability) ? And finally, do the programmers at Groundspeak ever pay attention to these posts as a way to improve the product???

Edited by tomnina

The map is meant to help you select caches online, not to be printed to help you in the field. If you must print it, take a screenshow, crop it to the map, rand print it like that.

Who determines how a map is intended to be used? If a cacher can use a map to help in the field, why should she have to take a screen shot. We've used the maps with the numbered key/text to help plan our caching runs for several years. With this new upgrade, much has been lost in the utility of the maps. Hopefully, someone at Groundspeak will replace some of the usefulness of the maps.

Thanks to all for your responses, we appreciate it. Here's the question(s). When will the Beta maps replace the old maps completely? Will the Beta maps ever have the capability to add numbers to the caches ( a very handy capability) ? And finally, do the programmers at Groundspeak ever pay attention to these posts as a way to improve the product???

Jump over to Groundspeak Forums and find the Site Update May 4, 2011 thread.

Maps and their many shortcomings are being discussed in great detail there. You might have a better chance of being noticed if you post in that thread.