Question about place a cache

Is it ok to secure a cache to some stationary object with a cable to try and prevent it from being stolen?

Many of the ammo can caches that I have found in one resort area have chains and locks. :anibad: Just don't drop a trackable in one that is in a high muggle area. :mad:

There have been two cache around here stolen that may have been by cachers because of the remote locations.

Something I'll add here: Explicit permission becomes very important in cases where the cache is secured to something.

We had one local cache which was chained to a fence behind a restaurant. I was surprised when it got Archived because there was no way someone could steal it. Rumour is that a dispute between cachers led to one complaining to the Reviewer and the Reviewer requesting that it be Archived since there was no explicit permission (just "adequate") granted from the landowner and a chained-up cache could not be removed by the property owner if needed.

If an ammo can vanishes in the woods, did a cacher steal it?

Maybe. Or maybe a hunter or hiker or other random muggle stumbled upon it, saw it, and said, "Hey, free ammo can!" I've come across dozens of muggle logs from hunters and other folks who have happened upon caches that were well off the beaten path.

So let's not point the finger at other cachers whenever a cache goes missing.*

* Unless you live near Rome, NY, or in FD territory, wherever that is in the Pacific Northwest, in which case, OK, I see where you're coming from.

(edit so I'm not pointing fingers at just hunters)

Edited by hzoi

A muggle boy, walking the family dog, found and took home one of my ammo cans the other day. Showed his mom and she made him return it -- yes, he signed the log, and returned it. I checked and he had placed it where he found it -- I just secreted it a little better.

Being in a small community, most all know me (us), but we aren't known as Gitchee-Gummee to them. His mom told me about his surprising find the day after. :)

No, don't blame just other cachers, hunters or muggles. It is something that just "happens" occasionally.