what do all the letters mean after the name of a coin

Team Luvbassn

I am new to collecting geocoins and do not know what the letters mean after the name of a coin? I know that they refer to the finish and metals but I just can not fine anywhere that describes what they mean.

BN - black nickel

G - gold

S - silver/nickel

AS - antique silver

AG - antique gold

SG - satin gold or in some cases - shiny gold

SS - satin silver or in some cases - shiny silver

You also might see IHE, which is "imitation hard enamel". It's a kind of enamel/resin that's overfilled in a coin and then ground or polished down so that the enamel is flush with the coin. It's slightly more expensive than the regular softer enamel (called, amazingly enough, "soft enamel") but it leaves the coin bright and very smooth.

Very occasionally, people use "SE" to indicate "Special Edition". LEs -- that is, Limited Editions -- are /generally/ meant to never be minted again (that's the established understanding, that is, but there is no actual law). If someone does a run of coins and a version is more limited in quantity than others, but they'd like the option to mint it again in the future, they'll (usually) call it a Special Edition.

Again, your mileage may vary, because there are no hard & fast laws here.

Also: on eBay and other auction sites, you might see "HTF" (Hard to Find) or "VHTF" (Very Hard to Find). You may also see "XLE" (Extremely Limited Edition" or "XXLE" or "XXXLE" or whatever. You may wish for some steady rule (e.g., if the edition's quantity has a 1:100 ratio of the overall quantity, it's an XLE, or something like that) but, alas, there is no steady rule. So it behooves you to do a little research before getting caught up in an online auction based on the coin's description alone.

Cheers!

Also: on eBay and other auction sites, you might see "HTF" (Hard to Find) or "VHTF" (Very Hard to Find). You may also see "XLE" (Extremely Limited Edition" or "XXLE" or "XXXLE" or whatever. You may wish for some steady rule (e.g., if the edition's quantity has a 1:100 ratio of the overall quantity, it's an XLE, or something like that) but, alas, there is no steady rule. So it behooves you to do a little research before getting caught up in an online auction based on the coin's description alone.

Cheers!

If you do end up shopping on Ebay, before you spend much money, do a little research on any coin listed as Rare, Hard to Find, or any version of that. I recently saw someone listing something like that for Look Twice Geocoins. I sent then a note asking what they meant, and they kindly explained to me how rare and hard to find the coins are. Haha, I sent them back a note pointed out that they were minted in the thousands, and are still for sale by the original vendor(I'm the one who had these minted). They have since listed all their Look Twice Coins with "Nice Coin" instead of "Very Rare". If you're looking to buy on Ebay, you can always come here and ask about a coin.