GPS Questions - eXplorist GC and Geomate.Jr

Hi all...

Looking at two GPSr's atm - a geomate.jr for my daughter's 5th birthday (she loves caching) and a Magellan eXplorist GC as a backup to my Blackberry

my questions:

1. Can the Geomate.Jr be changed to m/km from ft/mi ?

2. How good is the basemap for New Zealand on the GC

3. Has anyone come up with a way to change the basemap on the GC

Anything I should know about either of these?

I have a 5 year and a 9 year old. The geomate, I must admit, got relegated a little as it simply isnt intuitive or fancy looking enough for them. Its a pretty useful backup device though. My 9yr old loves using the Oregon which I have now replaced with a 62S. I'm about to try and get a Maggy GC just to see how he takes to it.

I can only answer 1 of your questions. Here is a screen shot of the basemap for a random area of NZ. This is near Havelock/Picton. Zooming in gives no more detail.

capture_2.png

Pretty sad for non NA areas.

Wow thats only 12 thousand Km from my house. :)

Thanks for that Savant - would you kindly be able to provide screenshots (zoomed in) of the following cache locations?

GC2NBN5

GC2ANH9

GC11AEG

I have a 5 year and a 9 year old. The geomate, I must admit, got relegated a little as it simply isnt intuitive or fancy looking enough for them. Its a pretty useful backup device though. My 9yr old loves using the Oregon which I have now replaced with a 62S. I'm about to try and get a Maggy GC just to see how he takes to it.

Interesting - I had actually considered buying the magellan GC for the 5yo and saving up for an Dakota (or maybe stretch to an oregon) a little later on. Figure I could "borrow" the GC in the meantme. Real shame about the basemap though with the look of it...

Thanks for that Savant - would you kindly be able to provide screenshots (zoomed in) of the following cache locations?

GC2NBN5

GC2ANH9

GC11AEG

Here is a screen shot of all 3 displayed, zooming in any further does not show any additional anything, if you keep zooming in all there is is the cache icon in a field of green.

capture_3.png

GC2NBN5

GC2ANH9

GC11AEG

Here is a screen shot of all 3 displayed, zooming in any further does not show any additional anything, if you keep zooming in all there is is the cache icon in a field of green.

capture_3.png

poo. I know NZ is pretty green - but that's just ridiculous! Auckland is NZs biggest city real shame there's not even major roads shown (the two roads don't count!)

Out of sight out of mind... are the maps in (I'm guessing BC Canada?) pretty good - magellan seem to have lots of love for people in North America - us poor anipodeans don't even get our emails, tweets and facebook messages answered :(

poo. I know NZ is pretty green - but that's just ridiculous! Auckland is NZs biggest city real shame there's not even major roads shown (the two roads don't count!)

Out of sight out of mind... are the maps in (I'm guessing BC Canada?) pretty good - magellan seem to have lots of love for people in North America - us poor anipodeans don't even get our emails, tweets and facebook messages answered :(

The coverage of the basemap is fairly good for here (yes Vancouver area of British Columbia), shows most roads and lakes/rivers even shows the trails in Stanley Park. I panned the map over to Europe and I see that it seems decent for there as well.

Maggy has a newly released model the eXplorist 310 which appears to be the exact same hardware, they seem to advertise a better basemap though, perhaps it is possible to copy this map over to the GC?