my coin has the same tracking #

kevcco

For xmas 2010 my wife gave me a 100 finds Geocoin with my cache name engraved on the back of it so I put the coin in my collection and only take it to events to be discovered. So when I got an email stating that my coin had been found and grabed in a cache in Montana ( I'm in Nova Scotia Canada a bit of distance away about 3000 miles) I was shocked to say the least. I ran to my box that I keep my Geocoins in to make sure I hadn't put it in a cache by mistake but atlast it was safely in the box. I emailed the cacher that had found the coin thinking maybe he had entered the wrong code I recieved an email back from him and he added the code that is on the coin he had found and it is the same code on another 100 finds geocoin. so I'm wondering if anyone else had had this happen because when you enter the code you only get my coin so everytime someone finds the other coin I will have this problem.

thanks kevcco

I think he got some numbers mixed up maybe. Ask him to make sure the 8 is not a B, the 5 is not an S, the 0 is not an O, the I is not a 1. If you only have one item showing up when you enter the number, and it's yours, then there should be only one out there. Let me know. Send me the tracking number via PM, do not post it here, and I will look at it.

It does happen I have three so far and The manufacture have not gotten back with me yet!

I have had it happen too. One of the MWGB t shirt coins. I went to activate it and it came up as being owned by a guy across the country. But he has his coin in his possetion and the back of his is blue and mine is pink.

I have one Look Twice Geocoin set aside that has the tracking code of a Mimbres Geocoin. Probably just an engraving error at the mint in this case.

Edit to add...Ooh, Ooh...Eartha's gone Cachin'

Does that mean we can say whatever we want in here now?? Nevermind, there's a beach across the street with cliffside Caches calling my name. SeeYaa...

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Here's what happened. (I feel like Monk, LOL)

Well, a quick email to the finder, a reply email with photos, and I know what happened. Someone, Lord knows who, made a photo copied, plastic encased proxy of this coin, using kevcco's tracking number, but somewhere along the way, they were able to photo copy the coin. Very odd. There was no mention on the cache page of this being dropped off, and no mention in the log book. Why on earth someone would make a proxy of a geocoin, that belongs to someone else, is beyond me!

This geocoin seems to have been transferred from one cacher to another througout it's life, I guess when they reached the achievement, and most of the ones who "owned" it for a while are forum regulars here, and might know where this could have happened (check your galleries). Somewhere along the way, someone got a photo of the front and the back, and decided to make a proxy of this geocoin. I've checked the galleries of all of the caches it has been through, and the TB gallery, and there are no photos of the coin back on there. Just one of the front. It has been to events, and someone could have snapped a clear enough photo at the event, or taken the back of another one, and photo shopped the number onto it. I did ask the finder to to remove the proxy from the plastic case, and keep the case for their own use. So, kevcco, all should be in order now, but I can't say it won't happen again. If anyone else sees suspicious activity like this on your own geocoin, ask the holder for a photo of the front and back, and if it is an actual geocoin.

Edited by Eartha
spelling

I was the finder of Kevcco's mysterious duplicate geocoin. I still do not understand why someone would bother to go through all the effort of making this duplicate coin only to drop it off at a cahce for me to pick up. Was this an expensive coin and someone did it to upset the owner of the coin? Kevcco have you shown this coin to someone who might have taken photos to do this? Is it happening at the manufacturers? The coin fits perfectly in this plastic case... and I thought it was original. Bizarre! I am trying to post the pictures I took... can't seem to figure it out so Eartha of Kevcco feel free to post them. Thanks.

Here's what happened. (I feel like Monk, LOL)

Well, a quick email to the finder, a reply email with photos, and I know what happened. Someone, Lord knows who, made a photo copied, plastic encased proxy of this coin, using kevcco's tracking number, but somewhere along the way, they were able to photo copy the coin. Very odd. There was no mention on the cache page of this being dropped off, and no mention in the log book. Why on earth someone would make a proxy of a geocoin, that belongs to someone else, is beyond me!

This geocoin seems to have been transferred from one cacher to another througout it's life, I guess when they reached the achievement, and most of the ones who "owned" it for a while are forum regulars here, and might know where this could have happened (check your galleries). Somewhere along the way, someone got a photo of the front and the back, and decided to make a proxy of this geocoin. I've checked the galleries of all of the caches it has been through, and the TB gallery, and there are no photos of the coin back on there. Just one of the front. It has been to events, and someone could have snapped a clear enough photo at the event, or taken the back of another one, and photo shopped the number onto it. I did ask the finder to to remove the proxy from the plastic case, and keep the case for their own use. So, kevcco, all should be in order now, but I can't say it won't happen again. If anyone else sees suspicious activity like this on your own geocoin, ask the holder for a photo of the front and back, and if it is an actual geocoin.

Good Job Adrian...Now maybe you'll want to straighten up that Geocaching logo in your avatar?