Take over a cache?

WMDan

Hey folks, I am interested in maybe taking over a geocache near my home that is in major need of maintenance(it has been logged as such). I know the CO owns a lot of other geocaches so maybe they just can't find time to get around to repairing this cache. The cache is a couple hundred feet away from my house so It would be easy for me to maintain, and it would be my first geocache that I would own, so I figured it would be an easy way to get into hiding my own caches.

I know I have to email the CO to get permission to take over the cache, but just out of curiosity I was wondering what would happen after that, for example, how would I take over the cache page and such? Any information, input, or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I know I have to email the CO to get permission to take over the cache, but just out of curiosity I was wondering what would happen after that, for example, how would I take over the cache page and such?

Once the previous cache owner has transferred the cache listing to you (a formal web-and-email process), you have control of the cache page. Modify the page as you see fit, within the guidelines.

Maybe send a message to the CO, mentioning that you live close to the cache in question, and if s/he ever feels like adopting it out, could you please have first refusal? The CO may not want to do that, and it does sometimes take awhile to do maintenance for many various reasons. You may find it beneficial to get a few more caches of different sizes and ideas under your belt before placing any of your own caches.

edit to ask - Have you visited the cache personally? If not, you may find that the CO has done the maintenance and forgotten to clear the NM attribute - I have!

Edited by popokiiti

I did visit the cache site, and could not find the container. Recent logs indicate that the container was empty, broken, and lidless so I assume the container got tossed in the trash by the park.

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to email the CO and see if I can adopt the cache. :)

I did visit the cache site, and could not find the container. Recent logs indicate that the container was empty, broken, and lidless so I assume the container got tossed in the trash by the park.

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to email the CO and see if I can adopt the cache. :)

Doesn't sound like there's anything to adopt. If so, the owner should archive the listing, and then you can place a new cache if the spot inspires you.

That tells me it's time for a Needs Archived. There is nothing there for you to adopt.

... There is nothing there for you to adopt.

Not true. Just because the container may be compromised does not mean there is nothing to adopt. The container can be replaced/upgraded by the adopter whether it's there or not.

You are adopting the listing, the location, the cache page and it's write up and log history, the whole enchilada, not just the container. In some cases it may be preferable to maintain an existing listing as opposed to making a new one.

Not true. Just because the container may be compromised does not mean there is nothing to adopt. The container can be replaced/upgraded by the adopter whether it's there or not.

You are adopting the listing, the location, the cache page and it's write up and log history, the whole enchilada, not just the container. In some cases it may be preferable to maintain an existing listing as opposed to making a new one.

A new cache can have the same location and if inclined the new CO can copy the writeup of the old cache. Log history? That belonged to a different cache and that cache ain't there no more.

To paraphrase Markwell, "This is my grandfather's axe. My father fitted it with a new handle, and I have fitted it with a new head, but it is my grandfather's axe."

In my opinion, very, very, very few caches should ever be considered for adoption. Only a few caches with historical significance to geocaching should be maintained via adoption. For the rest... wait until they get archived, then put out a new cache of your own... it will help bring people back to the spot... something that adoption will not do.

Ah I never thought about throwing out a needs archiving...although I was thinking about keeping the page online and such. I suppose it would make no difference either way, I just thought that this was a nice spot for a cache. I just didn't want people to come looking for it, and have nothing there to find.

I live close to a cache which is in bad need of maintenance. The owner states on the cache description that they can no longer maintain it and they would like someone close to take it over. However I have emailed the owner three times and there has been no reply. What do I do now.

islayhawk

I live close to a cache which is in bad need of maintenance. The owner states on the cache description that they can no longer maintain it and they would like someone close to take it over. However I have emailed the owner three times and there has been no reply. What do I do now.

islayhawk

Post a Needs Archived log.

A new cache can have the same location and if inclined the new CO can copy the writeup of the old cache. Log history? That belonged to a different cache and that cache ain't there no more.

To paraphrase Markwell, "This is my grandfather's axe. My father fitted it with a new handle, and I have fitted it with a new head, but it is my grandfather's axe."

First, if the old cache gets archived and you place a new one at the same location, then please don't simply copy the old cache's writeup without the previous owner's consent. That's plagiarism and a copyright violation.

Second, as far as Groundspeak is concerned, the old cache continues to exist even if the entire cache repeatedly gets replaced. So, you do have the option of adopting the cache, again with the owner's consent.

First, if the old cache gets archived and you place a new one at the same location, then please don't simply copy the old cache's writeup without the previous owner's consent. That's plagiarism and a copyright violation.

Second, as far as Groundspeak is concerned, the old cache continues to exist even if the entire cache repeatedly gets replaced. So, you do have the option of adopting the cache, again with the owner's consent.

There is nothing historic about words on a page. Plagiarism only comes into play if you don't give the original author credit for writing it in the first place. Something like "This cache was placed in the same spot as GC12345 because it is a great location for a cache: the following was written by xxx007: 'blah blah blah'"

There is nothing historic about words on a page. Plagiarism only comes into play if you don't give the original author credit for writing it in the first place. Something like "This cache was placed in the same spot as GC12345 because it is a great location for a cache: the following was written by xxx007: 'blah blah blah'"

I'm not sure what "historic" has to do with anything, but you're right that giving proper credit would remove plagiarism from the table. The original owner still retains the copyright to the cache listing, however. Depending on various factors, copying it might sneak in under "fair use." Still, please seek permission from the previous owner.