DeLorme Battery Question

I've searched the forums pretty throughly and haven't seen this question. I use a DeLorme PN-30 and bought the rechargeable battery kit. I can't seem to get the battery to accept more than a 3/4 charge. Then, it doesn't seem to last as long as normal AA batteries. Does anyone know of any secrets I can use? Thanks in advance!

We have the PN-20 & PN-30, make sure your backlight is not staying on all the time. Check under MENU - DEVICE SETUP - DISPLAY - BACKLIGHT TIMER. We get the best charge using the 120 volt adaptor that came with the battery kit.

I've searched the forums pretty throughly and haven't seen this question. I use a DeLorme PN-30 and bought the rechargeable battery kit. I can't seem to get the battery to accept more than a 3/4 charge. Then, it doesn't seem to last as long as normal AA batteries. Does anyone know of any secrets I can use? Thanks in advance!

Edited by 2Jeeps2Jacks

After a recommendation from a fellow Delorme user I recently bought one of these to use with my Pn-40..... http://www.rechargeable-lithium-batteries.com/ So far, it's great! I think there is some discussion of this elsewhere on the forums also. It's a great improvement.

That battery pack looks amazing. But $50 is a lot of money and it looks like it is available only in the USA. I hope I am wrong on the last part as I would seriously consider buying one.

I charge the CabBat in my PN-40 rignt in the device, so I never have to remove the battery. Kind of like a cell phone. Since it is a L-ion battery it actually "likes" to be "topped off" and you can give it a little charge any time without totally draining it. IMHO it will make up for the price in many ways. I like it.

One thing to bear in mind is that the power readout on the PN is a loose approximation. For the DeLorme battery, it can give you a general idea if you have a lot of power remaining or just a little. Even when these batteries are completely topped off, you will probably see 80% for only a brief time before it drops to 70%.

The more important statistic is just how long it lasts for you. Typical range is about 4 to 7 hours, while some might see up to 8 or 9. It seems to be the luck of the draw. An external charger *does* seem to charge it more than charging in the PN, but I don't recall the difference as substantial.

If by "normal AA batteries" you mean alkalines, that is a bit weird. Usually alkalines are the worst.

The Cabat is a great battery. It is a bit pricey, but I, too, feel it's worth the money. They have an email contact on the web site for those who want to find out if they can ship outside the USA or not.

Yes, that's correct. You can also use an adapter (usb to AC power) to plug it in to the wall or an adapter for car charging. I have not removed my battery since installing the CabBat. It's like charging a cell phone.

There is one modification I made to my delorme, which turned out to be no big deal: Since the CabBat is slightly larger than regular batteries, you might want to remove the foam strips and shave down the plastic ribs inside the back cover of the battery compartment. This allows the back to retain the waterproof tight fit. There are directions for this on the CabBat site and it is very simple. Keep the foam strips in case you want to use regular batteries at some point in the future, although I can't imagine ever going back.

Be sure to read all thei info on the site. The battery stays charged a LONG time. The battery indicator shows a full charge right up to the end and then drops of quickly, so get used to that.

It really is an awesome improvement to have a rechargable L-ion battery!

Again, I would recomment going to the site and just reading all of the information there. It's pretty thorough. http://www.rechargeable-lithium-batteries.com/

I have no interest in the company, I'm just a satisfied customer.