Caching when archived etiquette

Hi

I'm quite new to caching and I found 2 lovely caches very well hidden and very popular. Unfortunately the CO has moved out of the area and archived them. I contacted the CO and offered to take over as CO but got no reply.

I was out walking yesterday and checked them out and they are still in situ.

What is the protocol or etiquette here? It seems a shame to deny fellow cachers these excellet caches. Can I just take over? Can I just call them a different name and re submit them?

Is that likely to upset people??

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I think these are Geo-Trash then, as they have obviously just been left. This is another reason why I would like to take over. The CO had 4 caches near me and they were all inventive and nice hides, unfortunatey I only found 2 out of 4 so I think the other 2 will just end up Geo-Trash.

I will definitely replace the logs and re-list them. I assume I have to acknowledge that they are replacement caches on my listing though? Just so people who have already found them don't make a special trip to find its the same one.

I assume I have to acknowledge that they are replacement caches on my listing though?

There is no requirement that you do so, but you can do something like reusing the name. If it was called "CoolCache" you can call it somthing like CoolCache II, CoolCache Too, or Coolcache V2.0.

Thanks for that, I had already decided to make them sequels!

Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated, its such a nice day me and the geokids will go back down and replace the logs, we already took the co-ords yesterday so I will publish now as it takes a while for them to go 'live'.

Hi

I'll assume that these are the caches you've previously found, that were placed by ramblers revenge.

There's only one other cache listing site in the UK that gets regular use (opencaching.org.uk) and I've checked and those caches are not listed on it. I also checked the Garmin site and they're not cross-listed there. If the owner has never replied to your email re. his archived caches then I think you're OK to re-list them under your own geocaching.com account name if you want to. You could always add a note on the new cache page to explain what you've done and offer to return them to the original owner if he turns up again.

Good luck.

MrsB

Yes, you are right about the caches.

Thank you for doing the leg work for me, I appreciate it, I will acknowledge everything on the listing, after all I don't want credit, just don't like the idea of such good caches from such a good CO to go to waste. I really enjoyed Wayward Wanderer as it stumped me so many times!

I would like to think that someone else would do the same for me.