How to decide what the size is

rdeg

I will be soon hiding a cache and I don't know how to list the size. I don't want to be deceptive. The actual container that will hold the log will be micro size, small vial size but the holder that it will be attached to will be about 1 foot log. Do I size it according to to how large the log is or how large the container is. If I list it according to how big the container is, I would guess I would call it a small since it is long and narrow but the log is only micro size. Which way do i go? THanks for your suggestions.. rdeg

This is always a gray area, and there will be some forum debate on it, but generally folks would tell you to list it by the size of the contents it can hold. Since it really won't be able to hold anything more than the log, then list it as a micro, but in the cache description, you may want to say "micro with large cammo" or something along those lines.

I will be soon hiding a cache and I don't know how to list the size. I don't want to be deceptive. The actual container that will hold the log will be micro size, small vial size but the holder that it will be attached to will be about 1 foot log. Do I size it according to to how large the log is or how large the container is. If I list it according to how big the container is, I would guess I would call it a small since it is long and narrow but the log is only micro size. Which way do i go? THanks for your suggestions.. rdeg

If it's too small to hold swag or a travelbug, it's a micro. If you hide it in the hollow base of a 5 feet diameter, 50 foot redwood tree it wouldn't be a "large" container it would still be a micro. The tree size (or log size, or building size, or rock size, etc) doesn't effect the size of the cache container.

I had a cache that was a pill container stuffed into the neck of a plastic bottle. I listed it as a micro, but I seriously considered leaving it as "Unknown" since, on the one hand, there's the issue of fitting swag/trackables, but on the other hand is the idea that if a cacher is looking for a micro vs a larger cache, their hunting strategies can be quite different.

If it's too small to hold swag or a travelbug, it's a micro. If you hide it in the hollow base of a 5 feet diameter, 50 foot redwood tree it wouldn't be a "large" container it would still be a micro. The tree size (or log size, or building size, or rock size, etc) doesn't effect the size of the cache container.

I agree. Unless you are using a micro container to hold the log in a larger container. In the OP's description it would help to know more about what the outer "holder" is.

I once found an ammo can in a creek. In it was a smaller LnL inside of which was an even smaller container. The idea was to make multiple levels to keep the log dry. The inner most container may have been a micro, but the the cache was still a regular.