warning of bogus offer: "Free 3 Months!"

MoonCatKDT & Peanut

ADMIN EDIT:

This offer is not legitimate and did not come from a Groundspeak-authorized account. We apologize for any confusion.

- MissJenn

===================================================

So i got this email from Groundspeak just now:

groundspeaknolinky.jpg

Now the 'coupon' or whatever that is attached is minorly gruesome or i'd post it. Firstly, i'm already a premium member and have been for almost 5 months now.

Since I don't need this, can i give it to a friend? If not, can I use it to add an extra 3 months onto my membership?

I'm assuming this is legit.

*edited to remove the link url

Edited by MissJenn

This did not seem legit to me at all. I got the same exact message.

The photo on the users profile contains a link to a "gruesome" website. Where they show photos

of gruesome things that are "beyond"

I don't think this is official I had already reported the profile. So hopefully it gets taken care of.

That's what I thought, as it doesn't seem like something at all geocaching related or even Groundspeak related. Makes me wonder...

I noticed it came from

"noreply@geocaching.com"

Is that a valid geocaching.com e-mail address?

No moderators have visited. I got the same thing and would like to see if it legitimate.

I noticed it came from

"noreply@geocaching.com"

Is that a valid geocaching.com e-mail address?

That's the address used for all the email sent through your profile page. As it says at the bottom of the page:
Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com
Dear Geocacher,

I am one of the co-founders of Groundspeak. I am writing to you regarding the email you received from “Groundspeak Coupon”.

“Subject: [GEO] Groundspeak Coupon contacting ________________________ from Geocaching.com”

Please do not click on the coupon in the email. The account is not a Groundspeak account and it was created by someone who is trying to cause trouble on the geocaching.com website by exposing geocachers to graphically violent images.

We have banned the account and we are contacting all recipients of this email.

We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and we do apologize for any inconvenience that this user has caused.

Sincerely,

Bryan Roth

All is solved - others beware.

Edited by MissJenn
edited to remove direct contact information

I got the same email.

Also, a bit later, a legit one from geocaching.com telling me to ignore the bogus message.

To late, as I had already opened the other.

I don't know what image you others saw, but I thought the one I got was rather fitting for someone with a screen name like mine.

Coincidence or karma? Gulp! lol

Edited by skullsoup432

I have edited the topic title from

Free 3 Months!

to

warning of bogus offer: "Free 3 Months!"

I will also edit Post #1 to let people know right away that this offer is not legitimate.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll close this thread since the question has been answered.