Campgrounds

DavetecsGirl

Hey fellow cachers

THis is not really caching related but my family is all over ontario and in west virgina and near Detroit. We are planning a camping weekend and would like to do it in the states this year. Can anyone of you recommend a great camping park for us to hold it. We would prefer it to be northwest or north central to keep everyones driving to 6 to 8 hours max.

ONce i find one then i will check out the caches in the area...LOL

Your help would be much appreciated

thanks

Darlene aka Davetecsgirl :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here is a list of NY state DEC campgrounds in the Adirondacks. They are mostly on lakes and plenty of trees in the Adirondacks.

I've stayed at the Lake Eaton and Cranberry Lake campgrounds for quick overnights before heading off on a backpacking or canoe trip. They are very nice if you enjoy campground style camping. Plenty water side sites, but book early as those sites go fast.

I highly suggest looking into Knoebels. It is an amusement park with two campgrounds. One is located adjacent to the park and one is located a short drive away with free transportation to the park. The park itself is amazing (I should know, I work there) and it's a great place to spend the weekend. It's amazingly inexpensive compared to places like Six Flags since admission is free and the food is very reasonably priced. Amusement Today (one of the leading national amusement park groups) has voted Knoebels park #2 best amusement park in the entire nation, second only to Cedar Point. The campgrounds are wonderful, but tend to get crowded on the weekends the further into summer you go, especially in the one adjacent to the park. The one that's farther away might better suit your interests especially if you don't want to spend your entire weekend at the park, as it's more of a "regular campground" with a lake and such. Or if you'd like to visit the park but don't want to stay at their campgrounds, there are numerous other campgrounds in the immediate area, including one that I have been camping at for about 15 years.

You can check out the park's website at www.knoebels.com. If you have any questions about the park or want more info about other campgrounds in the area, feel free to ask me.

Edited by AutumnRae