How are geocoins identified?

gohon

This is my first attempt to place a geocoin. I just purchased the coin and it has a very small number on it. I got the ativation code and then my TB Tracakable number. My question/concern is that If I just place it in a cache will the finder know to look for the very small printed number, or should I somehow attach the TB number? I want to minimize the risk of someone taking it but not loging it because they did no see the number. Gohon

Do NOT publicize the TB number. The number on the coin is all that anyone needs to be able to log the coin. By the way, have you activated the coin yet? If you haven't, go to the geocaching.com web site and do that before you place the coin in a cache, or the finder won't be able to log it. If it's unactivated, it also makes your coin much more likely to be stolen, since unactivated coins sell for a lot more money.

Also, you should consider whether you want to put the coin itself into a cache or whether you want to use a proxy. If you don't use a proxy, your coin isn't likely to last very long, at least if it's an attractive one. The average lifetime of a nice coin in caches nowadays before being stolen is measured in seconds. Using a proxy is the best alternative.

When you release a 'coin or TB in the wild, you must understand that at anytime it can go missing.

The most recognizable feature of a geocoin is the fact that they typically of higher quality that swag. Seasoned cachers realize and know this. It is easy to spot a geocoin because of that fact.

Now about the number on it... smaller coins have limited space for their number. Some of them are extremely difficult to notice (especially those imprinted in the rim).

Your best bet is to bag the coin along with a printed (shrunken) mission card -- simply print it smaller than standard from the website, and laminate it on both sides. Including that will assist folks in realizing that it is a traveler to be moved along.

This is an excellent question!

As far as I can tell, the TB###### number that you get is only good to find the geocoin's page on geocaching.com. I use it sometimes in these forums when I want to let people know about a coin's travels, encounters, photos, etc.

If the person wants to log a coin into/out of a geocache, discover it, grab it, or whatever, they need the number on the coin itself, and THIS is the tracking number.

You are correct to anticipate some confusion on the part of geocachers, particularly if they've never encountered a geocoin before. To minimize confusion, I always place a piece of paper with the coin the lists the tracking number, like this:

06643a3c-bea2-497f-ad8f-bc0c4e16b6f4.jpg

I've omitted the tracking number on the photo, but it IS written on the paper for those who find it. Of course, this is only good if the geocachers want to read the information. ;) However, I think it is better than not providing any information at all.

Good luck and safe travels to your coin!

Do NOT publicize the TB number. The number on the coin is all that anyone needs to be able to log the coin. By the way, have you activated the coin yet? If you haven't, go to the geocaching.com web site and do that before you place the coin in a cache, or the finder won't be able to log it. If it's unactivated, it also makes your coin much more likely to be stolen, since unactivated coins sell for a lot more money.

Also, you should consider whether you want to put the coin itself into a cache or whether you want to use a proxy. If you don't use a proxy, your coin isn't likely to last very long, at least if it's an attractive one. The average lifetime of a nice coin in caches nowadays before being stolen is measured in seconds. Using a proxy is the best alternative.

Could you expand on "Proxy" for me please?

I noticed that you had the tracking code posted on the coins page, you best edit that out. Never post the tracking code anywhere or your coins page could get locked. If you want to post TB4324J to reference this item that is OK as no one can make fake discoveries or movements of the coin with that code.

I noticed that you had the tracking code posted on the coins page, you best edit that out. Never post the tracking code anywhere or your coins page could get locked. If you want to post TB4324J to reference this item that is OK as no one can make fake discoveries or movements of the coin with that code.

Yes, the actual TRACKING number engraved on the coin is secret, only to be known to those who actually handle the coin. Any public references shoulf use the public reference number. That's the "TB number that you're talking about, on the webpage. This TB number will allow people to look the coin up and post notes, but they cannot use it to log movements of the coin. If you're concerned that players will not see or not be able to read the engraved TRACKING number, you can include a card or something with the coin that enlarges the number, and has instructions.