Do you usually cache by yourself?

BikeDH

98% of the time I am caching by myself. I have not really met any other local cachers. I know they exsist but I am not so sure they are that active. Strangely I have yet to really meet any other cachers either. I happened to run into a few this last summer that kind of looked like Inigo Montoya on princess bride looking for the secret tree with his sword but with there GPS's so I helped them find the cache they were after and a couple others but thats been it really.

I only cache when I'm alone or with someone.

Cool - the best response yet! :)

I'm the same, but must admit having someone along to ask "I wonder if" or "Maybe over here", etc makes the 'game' much more enjoyable.

I feel less secure when out alone, so I carry a weapon with me. Haven't used it yet and I hope fellow geocachers don't get in trouble either.

Bo

The majority of my finds have been solo but I've cached with a friend on a number of occasions. I cache with my wife when traveling and sometimes she'll plan a caching trip to the countryside for us to do on a weekend. She loves to get out in the country whether it's a moderate hike in the woods or just tooling around the back roads to see what's there. She wont' go caching with me in our home town though - it holds no interest for her. Caching in the country is a different thing. We're planning an Alaskan cruise for later this year and we'll be adding Alaska to our list of states cached. There's also a port call in Victoria, BC so I'm hoping we can find a cache there as well. My wife is fun to cache with and she's darn good at finding them.

There are quite a few caches in Victoria, BC close to where the cruise ships dock at Ogden Point. How long are you in town for? If you want any help re distance, nice viewpoints, etc., let me know!

Looks like a VERY short stop over. Schedule says: Victoria 6:00AM 2:00PM

It would have to be something fairly close and easy as I doubt we'll be getting off the ship at 6:00 AM! The information that the docking point is Ogden Poin may be helpful as far as queries go. I know there's at least one Alaska Inside Passage bookmark list but I seem to be too stupid to locate it. It seems there must be a way to search for public bookmark lists but................. :huh:

I do it by myself about half the time, but I enjoy it either way. I feel less afraid going into the woods or a back lane behind a store, etc, if I am with others, but sometimes I just enjoy being alone. Also, now that I am getting better at it and have a better GPS, it's easier to take my kids with me. Before our DNF rate was much higher, and they would get really frustrated and it was not fun!

In fact, caching with kids, caching with other experienced cachers, and caching alone are three entirely different sports.

I totally agree! Caching with small kids should entitle one to at least a 3 star difficulty sometimes! I have found it best to stick with very easy caches with kids, and to only try for 2 or 3 caches, after that disaster usually strikes and we all get frustrated.

Edited by FloridaFour

If I'm making a day of it, especially hiking to caches, I prefer to cache with 1-3 other people. Lately I've been caching by myself alot because I simply haven't had anyone be interested in joining me.

If I make a few grabs after work or such I don't mind going solo.

These days, it seems that the better half of team hzoi is with me more often than not. Sometimes I go out solo, especially if I want to work on a challenge cache and mrs. hzoi would rather relax at home and have the tv/cats/computer/couch to herself.

We've gone out a few times with other cachers, or bumped into cachers along the trail and then hunted a few with them, but it's rare. Too often, it turns into a game of the most competitive cacher leading the pack and everyone else playing "follow the leader."

I feel less secure when out alone, so I carry a weapon with me. Haven't used it yet and I hope fellow geocachers don't get in trouble either.

Note to self: the next time I cache around Charlotte, I will not sneak up on other cachers. :lol:

I enjoy caching by myself sometimes because I'm one of those people who enjoys solitude sometimes, it's fun. I put on music that my husband doesn't generally like, or talk radio in the car, and have a fantastic time, or I go on really long hikes out in the woods (prepared of course).

But I also love caching with my husband, or friends. I mean, my husband is half of my team after all! I have some 'best caching buds' I would say. I even have Girls' Day Out caching outings with the female members of local caching teams, which are really fun! Going on one the beginning of next week actually :)

I started out years ago just going by myself to the first few that were in our area. I then involved my 2 kids ( 6 and 4 at the time) for a little while. They really don't want to go anymore (teenagers). I now do about a 50/50 split. I will seek out caches on my own but like company when its available. Extra eyes and someone to bounce ideas off are nice.

It's about 50/50 for me and depends on scheduling.

I really enjoy caching with my boyfriend and a couple we're close friends with. Sometimes our schedules don't exactly merge - one of us has the weekend off, the other doesn't, etc - and I end up going alone on a cache run.

If a trip to a high terrain or challenging cache trail is in order, it's as a group. If there's climbing involved, it's definitely as a group. It's always good to have a spotter when you're 50 feet up a tree!