How long to wait?

On the weekend we finally got around to finding a specific TB Motel that caters to the international crowd as it is placed near a ferry to the states. The problem is it wasn't hid. At all. It was in the middle of this 'yard' along a busier road, especially when the ferry is running under what could be a tree to hide something like a micro or nano in. It's an ammo box, or at least a plastic version of one. It seems to have been like this for quite some time, and nothing has been done.

Some of the issues with this include: The seal is broken and the inside is soaked and mildewy, there are a ton of both dead and alive bugs in it, including a few nice sized spider nests, no log book, and the obvious just sitting out in the open.

We removed the two travel bugs that were in it, and the one I took home had a completely destroyed sleeve. Normally I wouldn't care too much but when it is proclaimed as a TB Motel and talks about being for international goaled TBs it just makes me a bit worried. Anyone could walk off with this cache - most people in town have seen 'that box' and a few have apparently contemplated using it as a fishing tackle box. I love TBs and would hate for one of mine to be left in a cache like this.

I emailed the CO, who appears to be active, last log in a few weeks back, as well we posted a NM log. I'm just wondering if I SHOULD do anything else, and if so how long should I wait. I have gotten no response from the email.

I would probably be a good neighbor and go out and replace the box and hide it properly. But that's just me.

That wouldn't be possible for the OP. They don't live nearby. I'm guessing it was about a 3 hour drive to get to this cache. And if they did replace it, they couldn't maintain it, which perpetuates the problem. Now that it's empty, the sooner it's archived the better, so that no future TBs end up lost.

I would probably be a good neighbor and go out and replace the box and hide it properly. But that's just me.

That wouldn't be possible for the OP. They don't live nearby. I'm guessing it was about a 3 hour drive to get to this cache. And if they did replace it, they couldn't maintain it, which perpetuates the problem. Now that it's empty, the sooner it's archived the better, so that no future TBs end up lost.

The other issue is the coords would then be off for anyone looking for it later, as well as the size, because i'm pretty sure an Ammo Box can't be hid well in this spot.

And yes it was a 3 hr drive :)

I think a TB hotel in someone's yard has the same risks of it being in the beginning of the woods...they can be stolen no more matter what. If its a cacher who takes them, well, then it wont matter where. If you are concerned its too easy to see for muggles, thats different.

The strange thing is it's not in a yard, its like just this grassy area beside the ferry over to the USA. And yes, everyone including muggles can see it plainly.

That wouldn't be possible for the OP. They don't live nearby. ... And if they did replace it, they couldn't maintain it, which perpetuates the problem.

Sorry, I didn't look at the distance previously. But I kind of stand by my original point. I always carry spare containers with me. Occasionally I use one to hide a new cache, and occasionally one is used to replace a damaged cache. I would have replaced this container on the spot.

Yes, I know that officially a cache should always have an active owner/maintainer, but I firmly believe that everyone should do what they can to keep a cache viable. If that means replacing a damaged container or wet logbook, so what? Just do it, if you can.

That particular cache has lasted 15 months already. I don't think it did so sitting in the open as described by the OP. Indeed, the hint says "Rock 'n' Roll" so there must be some rocks nearby where the cache used to be hidden. Maybe it was in the riff raff beyond the grass next to the water. That looks to be only about 10 feet from the coords on the aerial photo.

But now, in hindsight, from where the OP is sitting 3 hours away, I would have to agree a NA is appropriate.