Rally contest / geocaching

Ca_Ghost

Curious if anyone has ever put on a geocaching contest mixed with rally style racing? Would be very cool to do something like this. Get a bunch of people together and have a huge race Where each team must find say color coded travel bugs before crossing the finish line.

Sounds kind of like orienteering. but with gps.

Great Basin Eastern Sierra Geocachers holds a geocaching rally each year in Northern Nevada: http://coord.info/GC26WZG Although its considered more of a navigational rally that a "race" style rally. Any time you have an event where speed is required or encouraged, your insurance and liability for the event skyrockets, so keep that in mind if you're thinking of putting something together. Even if you are putting together something informal you never know what may happen when people get competitive and start going faster than they should. I've grown up around racing and worked in the professional racing industry for a few years, so I've seen what happens when things go wrong.

We have both a on road and off road division to our rallies, offering people a choice if they dont have an off road capable vehicle. Competitors are given a list of waypoints/caches and must find them in a alotted time, with time penalties for going too slow and too fast, but the penalties for going to fast are much greater than going too slow, so it encourages safer driving. There are also challenges that each team must complete along the way that add/subtract to their overall score. We've been doing this for a few years and its a great time! We end up with about 15 teams in each division. We usually kick off with a night cache on friday night, the competition on saturday, and an awards banquet on saturday evening.

Edited by altered7151

i can imagine being in a 4 wheel drift around a corner only to smack into the cacher in front of me..

but it'd be GREAT!!!

That's more like a regular event after everyone gets the files and heads out.

Hi Ca_Ghost. I used to love coming out to Manteca from the Bay Area to the lake and water sports area. That's the only place I have ever seen the pulley operated water skiing hookup. It was cool.

Edited by Walts Hunting