New Waymark at the South Pole

gg

I thought about that but this is really to reference the Virtual Geocache that is at the South Pole and was under severe debate the past few days. My announcement is more to let the Geocachers that love the South Pole virtual know there is now an option.

This probably sounds harsher than I intend, but...that's a different game and a different website.

I doesn't sound harsh. It is a true statement but irrelevant to my point. I am discussing a virtual Cache and leading others to an alternative, albeit not as popular, should the virtual ever be archived.

It is a true statement but irrelevant to my point. I am discussing a virtual Cache and leading others to an alternative, albeit not as popular, should the virtual ever be archived.

Readers are asked not to open another thread about this unless the Antarctic cache is archived. So, there won't be another thread about this, capice?

punish.gif

I'm not sure about this whole Waymarking thing. Does it mean when you have lost your way you turn to Mark to find it?

It's an ego thing. When your first effort is an international success it's hard to admit that your second effort is a flop.

Oh...South Pole. Whew. Almost got off topic there. :)

So if someone hides a virtual cache at the south pole that few people actually look for it is a success because people can put it on their watchlist and get notified every time somebody post a note saying "I wish I could could go to the south pole some day." But if someone puts a waymark for the same location that also will hardly ever get visited it's a flop because there is no watchlist and nobody posting notes that they wish they could visit someday. :unsure: Just trying to figure out how we measure success.

Shouldn't be too hard to measure, even if the details regarding what makes one a success and the other a flop are hard to define. All you need to do is see how many people wish they could go visit the virtual, then compare that ever growing number to the list of folks who espouse the virtues of the waymark. I suspect there will be a big difference between the two, even after the waymark has been around for several years. I call this the "Suck" ratio. One of those sucks, while the other does not.

I'm not sure about this whole Waymarking thing. Does it mean when you have lost your way you turn to Mark to find it?

It's an ego thing. When your first effort is an international success it's hard to admit that your second effort is a flop.

Oh...South Pole. Whew. Almost got off topic there. :)

So if someone hides a virtual cache at the south pole that few people actually look for it is a success because people can put it on their watchlist and get notified every time somebody post a note saying "I wish I could could go to the south pole some day." But if someone puts a waymark for the same location that also will hardly ever get visited it's a flop because there is no watchlist and nobody posting notes that they wish they could visit someday. :unsure: Just trying to figure out how we measure success.

The collective measure of success is rarely correct, but people follow the herd instinctively. I could organize a flash mob of 50 people to appear in Times Square and to spread out and all point at the sky in a certain area at a certain time and insist that they just spotted a UFO. There could be some 500 people who would all look up in wonderment and Im sure some would see 'something' flash around, or even believe that they saw something. The story may even appear in the news and be labeled as possibly important. But otherwise if there was an actual sighting by only 1 or 2 people, nobody would really care.