60 CSX ON/OFF button

My ON/OFF button on my Garmin 60CSX is recessed, warn out and makes turning on/off the GPS very difficult. Has anyone had the button replaced or similar problems?

Just press really hard; that's what I have to do with my old 60Cx. It seems the rubber "push rod" between the button and the internal switch gets all soft & squishy with age. Some people have reported putting something more firm inside there. The whole top part pulls off if you want to give it a try.

The ON/OFF switch on my 60CSX broke entirely.

Now there's a short wooden dowel sticking out the top that is used to turn it on and off. It works, but the unit is no longer waterproof.

The switch is a horrible design. A unit that expensive should not have a flaw like that.

I am new to this and I too have a Garmin 60Csx. I have no problem with my switch, but I doubt its been used enough to wear out!

Do any of you know if there a way to get a more accurate map-or maybe I am not looking at the correct view? It doesn't show any smaller streets and lanes so I can't even figure out what the closest streets or avenues are.

I wonder if its the map is just very basic and need to upgrade, or is it ME. That is very possible-its tough teaching the technically challanged old folks.

If I need to get a better map (I live in the high desert of CA, USA)is there a place to download them. I can pay a nominal fee, but free is better! My husband & I will be traveling so I'd like one of the USA.

Many thanks

I am new to this and I too have a Garmin 60Csx. I have no problem with my switch, but I doubt its been used enough to wear out!

Do any of you know if there a way to get a more accurate map-or maybe I am not looking at the correct view? It doesn't show any smaller streets and lanes so I can't even figure out what the closest streets or avenues are.

I wonder if its the map is just very basic and need to upgrade, or is it ME. That is very possible-its tough teaching the technically challanged old folks.

If I need to get a better map (I live in the high desert of CA, USA)is there a place to download them. I can pay a nominal fee, but free is better! My husband & I will be traveling so I'd like one of the USA.

Many thanks

have you tried www.gpsfiledepot.com ?

Sometimes Garmin will repair a On/Off button problem for free,

even when outside of the warrenty time, as it is a known

problem.

I tried the drop of glue trick on the bottem of the button, but I

didn't have the right kind of glue.

What worked for me:

Batteries out, six screws out, gentle pry the back off, bottom end

first. There is only about 1/4 to 1/2 in of play between the front

and back due to the wires. The top rubber piece that is over the

antenna, is held in place by the grooves in the front and back

pieces, and several sticky places on top. I was able to fingernail

pry the top out of the grooves. Then pull the top piece off

exposing the antenna and the button hole. I then found a plastic

rod, from my junk box, just the right size for the button hole. Cut

off the end about 1/16 of an inch, or a tad shorter, dropped it

into the hold, as a spacer, repositioned the top, worked good as

new. Next was reseating the top into the groove in the front first,

then reposition the rubber seal between the halves as I joined

the back to the front and the top into the groove. Forgot to

mention that all six screws are the same length, so no sweat

putting them back in the right place.

The button top was split in half, so I was able to glue it together

ok.

Sometimes, it's not a manner of wearing out. I found out one day in the HOT Arizona sun that the plastic rod going from the rubber button at the top down to the actual contact switch in the case became somewhat "melted". It would not turn off because it was flexing inside the case. I left it in the sun because I was averaging a waypoint and needed to have it sit still. A few minutes in the shade and it was back to normal. I even tried it again with the same results. It gets soft in the heat, but will return to normal when it cools off in the shade.

So...it's not always wear that causes this with the switch/plastic rod.

If I ever need to tear into mine because of wear and this problem became permanent, I'd replace it with a harder plastic, preferably a thin carbon fiber or graphite rod that won't be affected by heat.

The ON/OFF switch on my 60CSX broke entirely.

Now there's a short wooden dowel sticking out the top that is used to turn it on and off. It works, but the unit is no longer waterproof.

The switch is a horrible design. A unit that expensive should not have a flaw like that.

Why didn't you just cut/smooth the dowel down a bit so it would fit under the rubber button? Did it rip off or something?

Many thanks

The unit comes with just the basic map you see. You can purchase DETAIL maps from Garmin called City Navigator....they come on a micro SD card or disk.

There is a cost but well worth it to get the most out of your unit.