State Coins?

Cprince90

I decided to start doing some coin collecting on my own, and online I happened to stumble across a few coins that were specific to a certain state and year. My question is, does anyone make geocoins for all the states. Maybe it does exist, but if a company would make a chart for all the states, and then make coins for them also and they all fit together seamlessly that would be awesome. Like a whole new chart to fill out.

BTW the ones I saw were Louisiana on coinsandpins and Ohio on Ebay

make coins for them also and they all fit together seamlessly
this idea got kicked around a few years ago

but it was quickly realized that if the Rhode Island coin were big enough for a tracking code, then the Texas coin would be enormous, and that if the Texas coin were of a reasonable size, then the Rhode Island one would be almost microscopic

make coins for them also and they all fit together seamlessly
this idea got kicked around a few years ago

but it was quickly realized that if the Rhode Island coin were big enough for a tracking code, then the Texas coin would be enormous, and that if the Texas coin were of a reasonable size, then the Rhode Island one would be almost microscopic

Seemingly you could lump together several of the New England states (no offense) to keep the size reasonable, no?

I decided to start doing some coin collecting on my own, and online I happened to stumble across a few coins that were specific to a certain state and year. My question is, does anyone make geocoins for all the states. Maybe it does exist, but if a company would make a chart for all the states, and then make coins for them also and they all fit together seamlessly that would be awesome. Like a whole new chart to fill out.

If you want a united set then I would recommend Cache Addicts' project. If you want to hunt for the obscure pieces that have been made over the years you'll have a long journey ahead of you, but you'll meet some great people along the way. Just depends on what you're looking for :)

Originally, the state coins were produced by the State geocaching organizations to help raise money and awareness of the organizations... there were lots produced in 2005 (although some 2004 editions exist) and some states continued to make them... then individuals started making some of the state coins that they had an affinity with, so the source of such coins can be different. WSGA (Washington State Geocaching Association) still puts out a coin for it's members each year...

Geoswag did something like this a number of years ago, but it wasn't one coin per state.
here are the details on this (as best that I can remember)

there were two sets

the first was released in early 2007

it was called "Geocaching Zone USA"

it consisted of four coins, each with its own tracking code

each coin depicted a time zone of the continental 48 US states

the individual states were outlined on each coin

the coins fit together into a complete map of the states

the second set was released later in 2007

this release consisted of five coins

four depicted Canada, also by time zone

(the eastern and atlantic zones were combined on a single coin)

these four were called "Canada Geocaching Zone"

a fifth coin featured Alaska and Hawaii on the same coin

this was called "Alaska/Hawaii Geocaching Zone"

all nine coins were to the same scale, and could be fit together to form the upper portion of north america

I am very new to Geocaching and would be interested in purchasing a few U.S. State-Themed Geocoins, too.

Specifically,

Mississippi

Louisiana

Kansas

Ohio

Also, I only want to buy round coins...does that make me weird?

:unsure:

Whereas none of these are on the immediate list, Geoswag is coming out with state shaped benchmark spinner coins (they've done Washington, S. Carolina and N. Carolina so far). They feature a spinning benchmark within the coin of a state landmark. They also feature the oldest active cache and it's general location on the coin.