First hunt!

Coon_and_Friends

Don't look suspicious.

Be bold!! Act confident and just go find that cache. Behave as if it is your job to go caching and you belong there. Bring a clipboard and sound and act official. Grab the cache, sign the log, put it back and move on.

This with an addition. If you are approached tell the absolute truth about what you are doing.

Me and my girlfriend are about to go on our first hunt and are pretty excited. Quick question though: what do you tell people that are watching you snoop around in the dark?? Ever get any upset property owner confrontations?

Thanks and we look forward to learning more about this!

You really shouldn't have any problems with upset property owners. Per the guidelines, permission should have been obtained from the property owner or manager before placing a cache there. So they should already know there's a cache there and expect people to come looking for it.

If by chance you are confronted by a property owner who is upset by your presence, it's a sure bet that permission was not properly obtained. If that turns out to be the case, first I would apologize to the property owner and explain that the cache should not have been placed without their knowledge. After all, going on someone else's property without permission is trespassing. I would then contact the cache owner and advise him to disable the cache so no one else goes looking for it.

Don't look suspicious.

Be bold!! Act confident and just go find that cache. Behave as if it is your job to go caching and you belong there. Bring a clipboard and sound and act official. Grab the cache, sign the log, put it back and move on.

This with an addition. If you are approached tell the absolute truth about what you are doing.

Fully agreed!!!!

Keep in mind that you should never have a reason to disassemble anything or dig up anything. Caches can be very very well hidden but you should never have to destroy something to find it. If you find yourself on the verge of doing something along those lines, you're not in the right place. If someone asks you what you're doing, especially someone of the law enforcement persuasion, be truthful and respectful. Oh and have fun! :)