Flashmobs

Hi All

Flashmob season is on the way with the next due on the 4th June

But i would like to know the proximity rules for a follow on from the main event, i seem to recall that the follow on needs to be 30 minutes from the flash event.

But does this have to be by car or can it be by foot or bike.

I have looked through the resources and forums but can not find anything.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Edited by burtsbodgers

Taken from the Groundspeak knowledge books - my bit in bold:

5. Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers. They are submitted two weeks prior to the event so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make plans. Events are published no more than three months prior. Some events are published six months prior if an overnight stay is expected or if the event is designed to attract a regional or international group of geocachers.

For geocaching events with several elements, multiple event listings may be submitted if each element stands on its own merits as an event, and meets the listing guidelines. After an event has passed, the listing is archived by the cache owner. An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

From memory I think proximity was a bigger issue - but I'm sure a mod or reviewer will be along soon to clarify further.

Flash mobs are great fun and have a very different feel to regular events. Pop along to one mpilchfamily - they're good fun :)

Edited by *mouse*

Rule of thumb, to allow a Follow Up Event to a FME to be published we use 30 minutes travelling time by vehicle. Provide that there is no way to short cut that on foot.

So if the 2 events are taking place on either side of a river, which takes 30 minutes to travel between in a car. But only 5 minutes by foot due to a bridge or tunnel, then the second event would not be listed. As they are basically components of one event.

It's 30 minutes travelling time as calculated by Google, as that's a resource everyone has access to.And provides a fair and unbiased measure of travelling time :laughing:

Deci

Rule of thumb, to allow a Follow Up Event to a FME to be published we use 30 minutes travelling time by vehicle. Provide that there is no way to short cut that on foot.

Not disagreeing with you, just seeking clarification. Is it not possible to have events within events, particularly at larger (Mega) ones. I seem to recall this happening at events like GeoWoodstock where they have breakout events on the site, but I may be wrong, I often am :anicute:

So if the 2 events are taking place on either side of a river, which takes 30 minutes to travel between in a car. But only 5 minutes by foot due to a bridge or tunnel, then the second event would not be listed. As they are basically components of one event.

It's 30 minutes travelling time as calculated by Google, as that's a resource everyone has access to.And provides a fair and unbiased measure of travelling time :laughing:

Deci

30 minutes by car seems a long way away.

Unless you are in central London in rush hour in whih case it's about 100 yards. ;)

Deci

30 minutes by car seems a long way away.

Unless you are in central London in rush hour in whih case it's about 100 yards. ;)

And that would not help as the timing is by google maps at the speeds for the roads not the speeds on the road :rolleyes: