"Cache of the month" award

I!

My turn to be battered for a silly cache quality idea ...

• At the end of every month, GS analyses the visitor history for each cache.
  • GS declares it to be a Cache Of The Month if the cache received a surprisingly high number of favourites.
  • The "surprisingly high" magic is tuned so that ~10% of caches get the COTM award.
  • COTM caches get to display a nice icon.

The analysis should be done on a regional basis. I don't want to see now COTMs near me because they're all clustered around Seattle! The analysis should probably also be done by cache type in order to factor out any systemic bias towards (say) earthcaches.

Why have COTM when we've got favourites? Just to keep things fresh and to encourage cache maintenance.

One example of the analysis that could be done in (say) Southern England for (say) a Traditional cache:

• Count the number of visitors this month that are voters (i.e. that ever use the favourites system).
  • Count the number of favourites, F, received from them against this cache.
  • Ask what proportion of other Traditional caches in Southern England, with the same(ish) number of voting visitors, have received F or more favourites this month.
  • If that proportion is 10% or less, this cache is a COTM.

An interesting idea for sure, what about other cachers nominating different caches for the award?

It's based off the existing favourites system. No problem with cachers outside of the region casting favourite votes, if that's what you mean: GS would just tot up the votes from everyone. (Sorry, I keep saying "votes". I mean favourites.)

Anything that encourages or rewards interesting caches is something that I'd be in favor of. I'm not sure that GS would jump into something like that right now though. It seems too similar to the souvenirs feature which, surprisingly, caused a lot of angst amongst some segments of the community.