Can't enter points for gar,om 60csx

Domdominic

Thanks for the reply Briansnat,

I have tried that and it still doesn't show any. And if I go into change reference menu, i can see the name of the cache on the map, so it did save it. It seems to recognize it as a reference point, but not as a geocache.

When "find" geocaches hit the menu button again and change from 'find nearest' to 'find by name'. I suspect that the caches you downloaded were some distance away and will not show up on a nearest search.

I can find them if I go in the waypoints menu, so I will use that for now. I don't know how to get them to show up in the geocaching feature.

Thanks for the reply Briansnat,

I have tried that and it still doesn't show any. And if I go into change reference menu, i can see the name of the cache on the map, so it did save it. It seems to recognize it as a reference point, but not as a geocache.

When "find" geocaches hit the menu button again and change from 'find nearest' to 'find by name'. I suspect that the caches you downloaded were some distance away and will not show up on a nearest search.

My problem appears to be similar. I have a new Garmin 60CSx. When I try to load geocaches by

checking waypoints and then hitting the download, nothing happens.

I do get the message Safari can't open file "geocaching.loc" because no available application can open it.

Is the problem due to my using an Apple? If so, can this be rectified.

Incidentally, I can load some Geocaches from the Garmin site, which has some, but not all of the same locations.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi...

So you know, same here. I add some into the 60CSx and they show up as Waypoints and not GeoCaches. So, you are not alone with this being an issue.

Even worse when you are a new user with your new toy and things are not put in the right place. It makes for things quickly becoming frustrating.

Have you done the following: From the MainMenu, select Setup->Geocache->and set the "find" icon to be the closed treasure chest?

I am not sure where you are having the issue. I have just tried with my 60CSX and my 2 Legend HCX's from my account and my daughters non PM account and everything loaded correctly. Have you downloaded the most recent Garmin Plug-in?

What does it say in the box that shows up when you select the "send to GPS" tab? Are you selecting "Garmin" from the top and does it recognize your unit with a name and id#?

Yes I have the latest plug in. And it does recognize my garmin, and it tells me it was successfully saved.

I am not sure where you are having the issue. I have just tried with my 60CSX and my 2 Legend HCX's from my account and my daughters non PM account and everything loaded correctly. Have you downloaded the most recent Garmin Plug-in?

What does it say in the box that shows up when you select the "send to GPS" tab? Are you selecting "Garmin" from the top and does it recognize your unit with a name and id#?

The key to making them show up as a geocache is to change the waypoint icon to the closed treasure chest icon. Once you do that they will show up as a cache. Once you find one you can change it to the open treasure chest.

You'll have to check the manual for instructions. I forget how to do it. My wife has become the expect of the GPS now. :)

Thanks now I get it. When you setup the geocache module you have to make sure that the symbol in front of find is the closed treasure. That is the same symbol that appears with the waypoints of the cache locations. This probably seems really obvious to some users. Thanks everyone for your input.

How are you loading the cache information into the unit?

I connect my 60CSx to my Mac. Turn them both on.

Check the desired caches and click on the "download" box.

I see a download window which says "geocaching.:loc" .

Click on that gives the message "Safari can't open file -no available application.

Nothing shows up on the GPS unit, neither geocaching, recent finds or waypoints.

Perhaps, I should try on a friend's PC rather then the Mac.

Thank you

Thanks now I get it. When you setup the geocache module you have to make sure that the symbol in front of find is the closed treasure.

That's not quite right. It needs to match whatever icon has been set as the Unfound Geocache icon. Out of the box, that's set to the closed chest icon, but it can be anything you want, including custom icons you upload to the unit. When you go into the Geocache Setup screen, you can change the icons used to designate Unfound and Found Geocaches.

ah ok that makes sense.

Thanks

Thanks now I get it. When you setup the geocache module you have to make sure that the symbol in front of find is the closed treasure.

That's not quite right. It needs to match whatever icon has been set as the Unfound Geocache icon. Out of the box, that's set to the closed chest icon, but it can be anything you want, including custom icons you upload to the unit. When you go into the Geocache Setup screen, you can change the icons used to designate Unfound and Found Geocaches.

My problem appears to be similar. I have a new Garmin 60CSx. When I try to load geocaches by

I do get the message Safari can't open file "geocaching.loc" because no available application can open it.

Incidentally, I can load some Geocaches from the Garmin site, which has some, but not all of the same locations.

Thank you.

Thank you.

If you can get GPX files, get them. LOC files contain very little information compared to GPX files.

Run a PQ and either download the zip file that's emailed (If you select 500 caches or less) or download from the second tab on the PQ page.

Edited by Bear and Ragged