TFTC

Rosemark

I've said it once and I'll say it again....if the CO can't be arsed with coming up with a unique cache other than a micro bison tube hanging on a tree branch in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, an Altoids® can under a lamp post skirt, or an undecorated ammo can sitting under a too-perfectly-stacked-to-NOT-be-hiding-something pile of tree bark, then I can't be arsed with giving your cache any more of a log comment than "TFTC". Seriously, I'm not playing this game to stroke the egos of the lazy. Impress me with the hide and I'll compliment the hide and possibly mark it as a favorite.

**Edited for poor grammar and spelling**

Edited by Howard_Family

"TFTC" originated as an acronym meaning 'Thanks For The Cache'. Some self appointed super-cool users took to using it as a code for 'your cache is lame'. That doesn't mean that cachers aren't free to continue to use the acronym for it's original purpose.

I don't have the geocaching history that you have, but in my six or so years, TFTC has never been considered an acceptable log when used all by itself. It also has never, in my experience, been considered derogatory when used as part of a more verbose log. Many logs close in TFTC without causing any angst.

So basically, you are agreeing that some people use 'TFTC' to mean 'Thanks for the cache'.

I never disagreed with that. I said what I meant and I don't really need you paraphrasing me, thank you. Have a donut.

I've said it once and I'll say it again....if the CO can't be arsed with coming up with a unique cache other than a micro bison tube hanging on a tree branch in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, an Altoids® can under a lamp post skirt, or an undecorated ammo can sitting under a too-perfectly-stacked-to-NOT-be-hiding-something pile of tree bark, then I can't be arsed with giving your cache any more of a log comment than "TFTC". Seriously, I'm not playing this game to stroke the egos of the lazy. Impress me with the hide and I'll compliment the hide and possibly mark it as a favorite.

**Edited for poor grammar and spelling**

How about you use that same "not lazy" mentality and research the cache before going after it. I am rarely surprised by a cache in that way. I normally know in advance if I'm looking for a cache I would like or not. I avoid caches that may warrant a TFTC. Problem solved. Don't do them if they are so bad. Interesting to me that a lazy cache hider can be so tricky as to lure you into doing their cache.

You would prefer that these people spell out 'Thanks for the cache'? Spelling out these four words rather than using the acronym would somehow elevate the geocaching experience for everyone?

Really?

Sure. Couldn't hurt, it would elevate things a notch.

But I really don't care all that much. It's those people who are courteous that weight the scale on the plus side for me as a CO. The TFTCs don't bother me much, just make me think 'hmmmmm' <_< .

However I don't think we need to exalt, encourage or defend TFTC/acronym-only logs and blank logs.

...If you mean "thanks for the cache" why not just write that out in words.
Because 'TFTC' means the same thing and is quicker and easier to type.

'TFTC' is quicker and easier but it doesn't mean anything beyond that you couldn't be bothered to say anything. 'Have a nice day' or rather 'HAND' :)

TFTC may have sincerely meant "Thanks For The Cache" at one time, but it has long lost any real meaning in its overuse. It's just something you say, much like when someone says "Have a good day" or "How ya doing?" when really it's doubtful they even realize what they just said let alone meant it. I don't really think the writer necessarily means "your cache sucks", it's just an empty phrase. If you mean "thanks for the cache" why not just write that out in words. If you didn't like the cache say something else. There is a cacher around here that mentions the weather in her logs. Even that is more interesting to read. As for cut-and-pasting a bunch of log entries though, I'd rather they went back to TFTC and at least save the bandwidth.

In pretty much all my logs, the acronym "TFTC" appears. While on LPCs and P&Gs that's probably all I wrote, on the good caches, I'll give a little story or anecdote about the find, but I still close it with the "TFTC". Why? Because typing "Thanks for the cache" on an iPhone becomes an exercise in futility when you have massive sausage fingers such as mine. Hell, I've written TFTC so often that my iPhone actually auto-corrects it if I don't capitalize it. I think that the proliferation of the usage of this acronym is more of an indictment into the fact that a lot of us n00bs are using smartphones and probably saw or heard someone use "TFTC" because it's easier than typing it all out and just began to use it. That's how I did it. I thought it was acceptable use. Then I met a group of cachers at a 10/10/10 event and they told me that they use it to, in a roundabout way, to show their disdain for lame caches. I still use it, but for both. But I will patently defend my usage of the acronym all by its lonesome when it comes to the ridiculously easy, for-the-numbers caches like the aforementioned LPCs, P&Gs, guardrails, and magnetics on drain pipes/newspaper dispensers/power boxes. I honestly don't think it's worth the effort to post a wordy log if it takes more time to type it out then it did to find it. That's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I still fail to understand why you would even do a cache so beneath your standards. If your mentality is that "tftc" is only for lame hides. I honestly don't understand why you do them. Sure a few can slip thru, but they are usually very obvious on the cache page or at least when you are driving close to it.

Edited by M 5

I don't log just TFTC. One I usually type it all out. Two I usually put a sentence like I found the cache. It was there. Usually I do more.

And it's not an insult from to the quality of the cache. This notion that it must be something horrible is with a small chunk of the larger caching community. As noted before if you don't hang out with cachers or frequent the forums one would see nothing wrong with TFTC.

That being said I sometimes do neato caches and don't have much to say. Sometimes I wasn't really paying attention to the view. I wasn't exactly paying attention to the search. And the containers here are for the most part just an average container. Much of the time I'm hunting I'm processing my thoughts. I'm staring down at the unit doing some problem solving at where to go and then the rest of my brain is somehwere completely else thinking about what is going on in my life or work or whatever. That is part is why I do this. I can just be alone with my thoughts and do an activity on some sort of autopilot while exercising other parts of my brain.

So I can't really say nice hike because I'm not really paying that close of attention to the path. Sometimes I'll take a picture or two. I can't really talk about the thoughts that went into finding the cache. And the walk back is typically uneventually. But I still typically write more in my logs. But I know some neato caches get logs shorter than they deserve because I'm busy in my head at the time.

Kinda like a grunt at the dinner table to let mom know that you liked the lasagna. I'm sure she'd appreciate a 'Thanks Mom' as opposed to a grunt. She realizes that you probably enjoyed the lasagna as you wolfed it down but not speaking to her the whole time is rather a let down for all the time she spent making the lasagna from scratch. Maybe next time she'll just throw a frozen dinner in the oven.

If I was making this analogy, it would be like this:

grunt = blank log

Thanks Mom = TFTC

This is really tasty lasagna. Did you use your homemade canned tomatoes? Mmm, I like the mixture of cheddar and mozzarella. Thanks Mom! = thoughtful geocache log

And that's why analogies don't work.

I still fail to understand why you would even do a cache so beneath your standards. If your mentality is that "tftc" is only for lame hides. I honestly don't understand why you do them. Sure a few can slip thru, but they are usually very obvious on the cache page or at least when you are driving close to it.

I have no idea if a cache is "lame" until I find it. Sometimes I really like an LPC, sometimes a cache in the woods is disappointing. When I'm disappointed in a cache, it's usually not because of something I would have seen on the cache page.

This fascinates me...I've been writing TFTC because that's what I've seen on the logs and as I'm new to this, I thought that was the appropriate response and didn't really think anyone cared about my specific experience. I've found 6 so far. The first four my son took me out for and the last two on my own. I thought brevity was the preferred response. All I can say now is 'be careful what you ask for' LOL Happy New Year.

Edited by Totoni

This fascinates me...I've been writing TFTC because that's what I've seen on the logs and as I'm new to this, I thought that was the appropriate response and didn't really think anyone cared about my specific experience. I've found 6 so far. The first four my son took me out for and the last two on my own. I thought brevity was the preferred response. All I can say now is 'be careful what you ask for' LOL Happy New Year.

Argh!! No you haven't been writing "TFTC". Unless you're talking about the physical logbook. I shouldn't have to do this, but for the record This is a "TFTC" log. (taken from one of Totoni's 6 finds). If you don't mind me asking, why would you think brevity was the preferred response, and no one cares about your specific experience?

The two logs of yours that I looked at were excellent logs. Nobody here is complaining about having the acronym TFTC in the log. The issue is when that is ALL that is in a log. Please keep up what you're doing!

I have no idea if a cache is "lame" until I find it. Sometimes I really like an LPC, sometimes a cache in the woods is disappointing. When I'm disappointed in a cache, it's usually not because of something I would have seen on the cache page.

I can usually easily tell by past logs and some other tendancies. At least by the past logs by cachers that write more than TFTC. I'm still waiting on the LPC that isn't lame. I've heard of them, but I'm not willing to kiss that many frogs to find one. I may miss a few gems, but I'm sure not many. The new favorites system will hopefully help even more to tell if they are worth the time.

I recognize that cachers may prefer a longer log entry on caches, but the reality is that you simply aren't entitled to a longer log entry no matter the effort level of the placement. Promote your preference all you want by leading by example and coaching fellow cachers, but you can't expect that others will follow suit, as unfortunate as that may be viewed.

One of the beauties of this game/hobby we all seem to enjoy is that it provides for a myriad of ways to enjoy it within given guidelines, even if that way results in "TFTC" (or the like) as the log.

I recognize that cachers may prefer a longer log entry on caches, but the reality is that you simply aren't entitled to a longer log entry no matter the effort level of the placement. Promote your preference all you want by leading by example and coaching fellow cachers, but you can't expect that others will follow suit, as unfortunate as that may be viewed.

One of the beauties of this game/hobby we all seem to enjoy is that it provides for a myriad of ways to enjoy it within given guidelines, even if that way results in "TFTC" (or the like) as the log.

I actually agree with you, and if you see any references to me feeling "entitled", I'm merely joking. :) My whole point here is this is a recent development. New players weren't logging TFTC en-masse in 2000-2008. Just like there wasn't a film canister in every Wally World Parking lot in 2002. Every time some new fad in Geocaching comes along, I should embrace it as just another one of the myriad ways people can enjoy it? Hey, I liked the fad of moving caches, you know. I can't enjoy that myriad anymore. ;)

I can usually easily tell by past logs and some other tendancies. At least by the past logs by cachers that write more than TFTC. I'm still waiting on the LPC that isn't lame. I've heard of them, but I'm not willing to kiss that many frogs to find one. I may miss a few gems, but I'm sure not many. The new favorites system will hopefully help even more to tell if they are worth the time.

We all have our own tastes. I'm really not that selective or picky, and it's a rare cache that I truly dislike (I used all my "favorite" points in about an hour). I avoid things like "power trails" and I avoid caches placed by owners I don't trust, so that eliminates the obvious problems - I know that I would have nothing good to say about 1000 identical caches in a row, so I don't look for them. When I dislike a cache, it's usually for a reason that couldn't be predicted by reading the cache page. I'm not going to "TFTC" a cache just because it's an LPC - obviously I knew that's what it was going to be before I looked for it, and I keep my expectations in line. On the odd occasion that I really dislike a cache, I often opt for brevity because it's just not worth getting into a fight with a butthurt cache owner.

The answer you seek should be painfully obvious just by looking at my avatar pic. I have two young children that absolutely adore the lame caches. They don't like traipsing through forests and getting covered in stickers/poison ivy or doing overly elaborate puzzle caches. They're kids with short attention spans and the instant gratification of the lame caches keeps them interested. But, again, I use the 'TFTC' on almost all my logs...be it lame or not. Go see for yourself. Like I said...it's easier to type that on an iPhone than a lengthy missive...if the cache isn't worth the effort in my opinion, I won't write more than that. Sorry if my logic fails to live up to your standards.

The answer you seek should be painfully obvious just by looking at my avatar pic. I have two young children that absolutely adore the lame caches. They don't like traipsing through forests and getting covered in stickers/poison ivy or doing overly elaborate puzzle caches. They're kids with short attention spans and the instant gratification of the lame caches keeps them interested. But, again, I use the 'TFTC' on almost all my logs...be it lame or not. Go see for yourself. Like I said...it's easier to type that on an iPhone than a lengthy missive...if the cache isn't worth the effort in my opinion, I won't write more than that. Sorry if my logic fails to live up to your standards.

If you ever saw me, I have had a perpetual military brush cut since like 1983. I'd be pulling it out right now if I had any to do it with. No, no bald spot, just not a lot to grab on to. :lol:We are talking "TFTC", only "TFTC", and nothing but "TFTC", alone and of itself, as a find log. You also don't do that. I myself will drop the acronym "TFTC" on the end of a 300 word cache log.

Personally, my kids loved swag, and despised pretty much all micros. I use that sort of in the past tense, as they're getting older, and pretty much don't care about caching anymore. Although my boy is still 11, and I still have him as a captive participant sometimes. :blink:

I actually agree with you, and if you see any references to me feeling "entitled", I'm merely joking. :) My whole point here is this is a recent development. New players weren't logging TFTC en-masse in 2000-2008. Just like there wasn't a film canister in every Wally World Parking lot in 2002. Every time some new fad in Geocaching comes along, I should embrace it as just another one of the myriad ways people can enjoy it? Hey, I liked the fad of moving caches, you know. I can't enjoy that myriad anymore. ;)

Fads will come and go, and some may stay longer than we like and become a permanent fixture. It's awesome that we have the ability to choose to play this game the way we feel best suits our interests (Wally World LPCs versus 5 mile walks to little known waterfalls, for an over-simplified example) based on all the tools we have provided to us, but simply yearning for olden times where things were somehow "better" is just silly, IMO. I liked the fact that bread used to cost under a buck, but I can't expect to leave the store after dropping 4 quarters on the counter without repercussion and then suggest "well it used to be that way" as my defense when I get questioned.

The world spins madly on, and as moderately well-adjusted free-thinkers, so should we. In the end, you embrace what works best for you, as others should feel free to do. "TFTC" isn't an issue if you don't let it be an issue for you.

Your a fine ambassador of the hobby. You should attend some CITO's and contribute some caches to it. Then I may think your arguments hold more weight. There has been a lot of work involved in getting and keeping land managers in our court. Get involved and you may change your mind on all sorts of aspects of geocaching. I can't help you with your kids. Mine love certain puzzles, hiking, clever urban hides, and helping me make caches.

... Once you have cached awhile and own caches
:blink:

typical

I just thought that it was strange that in a post that was apparently directed at me, you suggested that I would feel differently once I have cached for a while or hidden some caches. I've been caching for a little while now and both found and hidden a few caches. Still, my positions are as I have stated them.

"TFTC" originated as an acronym meaning 'Thanks For The Cache'. Some self appointed super-cool users took to using it as a code for 'your cache is lame'. That doesn't mean that cachers aren't free to continue to use the acronym for it's original purpose.

I don't have the geocaching history that you have, but in my six or so years, TFTC has never been considered an acceptable log when used all by itself. It also has never, in my experience, been considered derogatory when used as part of a more verbose log. Many logs close in TFTC without causing any angst.

So basically, you are agreeing that some people use 'TFTC' to mean 'Thanks for the cache'.

I never disagreed with that. I said what I meant and I don't really need you paraphrasing me, thank you. Have a donut.

I guess that I just don't understand why anyone would get upset if a cacher typically leaves 'TFTC' logs given that people understand that 'TFTC' can sometimes mean 'Thanks for the cache' and sometimes mean 'I didn't care for this cache'. It seems to me that if someone very typically logs with just 'TFTC', then he is expressing his thinks for the cache placement, rather than being derogatory.

It should be noted that I don't understand your frequent 'have a donut' comments. I suspect that you are just employing some of your own super-cool snark. It seems to be just one more in a long line of the cool kids coming up with 'secret' ways to insult others. I guess that we can just add it to the list with DPM, TFTC, et al.

Edited by sbell111

You would prefer that these people spell out 'Thanks for the cache'? Spelling out these four words rather than using the acronym would somehow elevate the geocaching experience for everyone?

Really?

Sure. Couldn't hurt, it would elevate things a notch.

But I really don't care all that much. It's those people who are courteous that weight the scale on the plus side for me as a CO. The TFTCs don't bother me much, just make me think 'hmmmmm' <_< .

However I don't think we need to exalt, encourage or defend TFTC/acronym-only logs and blank logs.

I just don't see how we can label someone as being discourteous if they thanks the cache owner for placing the cache, regardless of whether they used an acronym or not.
'TFTC' is quicker and easier but it doesn't mean anything beyond that you couldn't be bothered to say anything. 'Have a nice day' or rather 'HAND' :)
It doesn't mean anything else TO YOU. To many others (and the geolex), it means 'Thanks for the cache'.

Your a fine ambassador of the hobby. You should attend some CITO's and contribute some caches to it. Then I may think your arguments hold more weight.

The snarkyness level in the forums is really getting to condition orange at this point. <_<

Posts like yours are not exactly showing ambassadorship either. Pot, kettle.

Read The Forum Guidelines

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

If you actually looked at their logs, you would see that they type more than "TFTC". That is at the end of their logs. You do not have to attend events or place caches to contribute to this game. That is absurd. It is great for the game when you take time to explain what you are doing to folks that don't cache and tell them about the fun you have. Explaining how the kids love the activity and sharing the fun with others and trading fairly and so many other things can make you a good ambassador to the game. Helping people in the forums is another way. Being snarky to people in the forums isn't one of them. Your comments illustrate why people don't come to these forums. Perhaps you should learn from the Howard Family as to how to post here.

It doesn't mean anything else TO YOU. To many others (and the geolex), it means 'Thanks for the cache'.

How many ways can you guys beat a dead horse?

Give it up already!

:sad:

Edited by jon.hemlock.Chantal

Your a fine ambassador of the hobby. You should attend some CITO's and contribute some caches to it. Then I may think your arguments hold more weight.

The snarkyness level in the forums is really getting to condition orange at this point. <_<

Posts like yours are not exactly showing ambassadorship either. Pot, kettle.

Read The Forum Guidelines

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

If you actually looked at their logs, you would see that they type more than "TFTC". That is at the end of their logs. You do not have to attend events or place caches to contribute to this game. That is absurd. It is great for the game when you take time to explain what you are doing to folks that don't cache and tell them about the fun you have. Explaining how the kids love the activity and sharing the fun with others and trading fairly and so many other things can make you a good ambassador to the game. Helping people in the forums is another way. Being snarky to people in the forums isn't one of them. Your comments illustrate why people don't come to these forums. Perhaps you should learn from the Howard Family as to how to post here.

I don't think that saying someone is not a good ambassador is that bad, if it is, then we are both guilty. I do get suckered into back and forth on here. I guess if a moderator can, then I'm in good company. Pot,kettle. I feel geocacing is at its core, a volunteer hobby. You know this yourself. If people don't volunteer, this hobby will die. I respect voluteers and believe that everyone should volunteer in some way. I also believe that more experienced people in any walk of life, have just that. More experience, and their words have more weight. I never said absolute, or that others opinions have none. I respect the people that make a difference, way more than those that just use the resources and don't give back.

<<<a bunch of words snipped to reduce the size of this post>>>

Your a fine ambassador of the hobby. You should attend some CITO's and contribute some caches to it. Then I may think your arguments hold more weight. There has been a lot of work involved in getting and keeping land managers in our court. Get involved and you may change your mind on all sorts of aspects of geocaching. I can't help you with your kids. Mine love certain puzzles, hiking, clever urban hides, and helping me make caches.

Wow. So I get attacked for my opinion, defend my opinion, then get attacked about not participating more or being as experienced as you? Seriously? First of all, I JUST started doing this. Just hit my 6-month mark and have already logged 250 finds. Considering my busy life, that's actually pretty amazing if you ask me. Sure, a good bulk of those are the lame caches I refer to, but, I defer to my reasoning for doing them in the first place. While I might not like doing them, they bring happiness to my girls and keep them interested in the game. Hopefully as they get older and we do this more they will be more into the harder terrain and puzzle caches. At this point we take what we can get.

Having said that, I very much want to become more active in the game. I am currently in the process of getting our first hide together. But, like I said previously, I want it to be special. I want it to have significance for not only being our first cache but to also show appreciation of the game itself. Many a hobby has come and gone in my life because I just don't have the time or patience for the payoff. With geocaching, that payoff is instant, and the fun we have as a family is the reward we reap. So while some people can go out and drop 15 or 20 hides in a day, I'm taking my time on this...making sure I've got the camouflage the way I want, making sure the site I have picked out is appropriate enough, getting the necessary permissions to hide it, and then coming up with the proper cache name and description. I'm not in it for the highest numbers of hides and finds....I'm in this for the thrill of the seek and the agony of the DNF.

And to quote my grandfather...."Experience doesn't necessarily make you better....just long-winded and bitter."

Edited by Howard_Family

How many ways can you guys beat a dead horse?

Give it up already!

:sad:

Yeah, I was going to answer Dr. House, but I don't feel like it now. Even if a 5th person who isn't a TFTC logger tries to come out as a TFTC logger. :lol:

I respect the people that make a difference, way more than those that just use the resources and don't give back.

Anyone who is finding caches and logging their experience in the logbook or online. is giving back. Without finders, there would be no reason to place caches.

---------------------------------

Yeah, I was going to answer Dr. House, but I don't feel like it now. Even if a 5th person who isn't a TFTC logger tries to come out as a TFTC logger. :lol:

By Golly! You are correct. I could have sworn I did it ... once :blink:

Edited by jon.hemlock.Chantal

By Golly! You are correct. I could have sworn I did it ... once :blink:

Same here, although thinking back, I usually copy/paste a generic sentence commenting on my cache outing. Usually says something to the effect of "Out on a cache run with the family" or "Out on a quick run with Wifey/Pinto/Mouse (those be their nicknames)". So my actual 'TFTC' log would look like this:

"Out caching with the family on a fine day. TFTC!!"

So I am double-tapping on the screen and pressing "Paste" to enter the first part and once I type the letters TF it auto-suggests TFTC. I then enter the !!. So all in all, I press the screen 7 times to type out the equivalent of 49 screen presses. Add in the retypes that would take place because of my fat sausage fingers and just the act of typing the log would take longer than the search, find, sign log, and rehiding of the lame cache. So while I may not be a TFTC-only signer....my intent is just the same. If I didn't like the cache I sought and found, I'm not giving the CO anything other than a TFTC. Everything else was superfluous and didn't cost me but a second of my time.