Vista HCx

GAZ

Hi, all you techie peeps.......

I have just bought a Vista HCx off a mate who bought it in June to use mainly for walking, cycling etc, and it has only been out of it's box once! He is now getting an Oregon, as that is what all his pals have. Question is......which micro sd card do I get? There are several to choose from. Does the Vista support SDHC or just SD? Will a 2GB do? I will be putting TalkyToasters fantastic maps on, as I have seen screenshots of them.

Any advice would be great, cheers!

Gaz

Hi, all you techie peeps.......

I have just bought a Vista HCx off a mate who bought it in June to use mainly for walking, cycling etc, and it has only been out of it's box once! He is now getting an Oregon, as that is what all his pals have. Question is......which micro sd card do I get? There are several to choose from. Does the Vista support SDHC or just SD? Will a 2GB do? I will be putting TalkyToasters fantastic maps on, as I have seen screenshots of them.

Any advice would be great, cheers!

Gaz

A 2GB card will do - the routable UK map with contours only comes in at 336 MB unzipped - depends what/if you want to put anything else on there as well.....

The Vista HCx will support upto 4Gb cards (from the Garmin support FAQ site) but you will need to be running the latest software. You can check the software version on the Garmin website and using the Web Updater program update if necessary. TalkyToasters maps will easily fit onto a standard 2Gb microSD card.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

The original advice was that Vistas would only handle 2Gb cards reliably, though that line has subsequently been dropped, don't know why.

I use a 2Gb card in my Vista Cx, with talkytoasters maps and 30-odd thousand POIs, and it's never been more than about 14% full, so I'd say 2Gb was more than adequate, unless you have some mysteriously large files to store.;)

Cheers for all the info my geo-peeps, I have seen them on wotsits-bay for less than a fiver including the adaptor. Me finks an online order tonight is on the cards......cards?......geddit? oh, never mind!

Oh...and happy caching new year!