GPS for windows

ampop

My first GPS receiver was the one that came with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Used it for road navigation before I had any idea what geocaching was. Still use the program to plan caching days, but a laptop is not sufficiently rugged to stand up very long on the trail. Also, I found it didn't zoom in far enough to be useful any further than finding a place to park.

Hi,

I recently acquire a GPS for PC.

Anyone knows a software to use for Geocaching?

Thanks

This is a fairly broad question. Perhaps a few details like what gps, what you want the software for, maybe even the operating system you have on the PC.

It's a GlobalSSat BU-353 USB GPS (www.usglobalsat.com/p-62-bu-353-w.aspx).

The operating system it's the Windows XP.

I want a software for Geocaching and off-road.

Thank you.

When I read your post, this youtube video comes to mind :

It's not going to be very practical, but I suppose you already know that. I don't believe anyone has actually written geocaching software that runs on PC that is meant to help you get to the cache. You could try something like Microsoft Streets and Trips that will use input from a USB GPS receiver to guide you to your destination.

When I read your post, this youtube video comes to mind :

It's not going to be very practical, but I suppose you already know that. I don't believe anyone has actually written geocaching software that runs on PC that is meant to help you get to the cache. You could try something like Microsoft Streets and Trips that will use input from a USB GPS receiver to guide you to your destination.

Very funny indeed. This is a rude geocaher.

;-)

I do a lot off-road, the idea it's to have a more comfortable interface. To approach the cache, if necessary, I will use a regular GPS.

Thank you for the tip: Microsoft Streets and Trips. I will try it.

It's not going to be very practical, but I suppose you already know that. I don't believe anyone has actually written geocaching software that runs on PC that is meant to help you get to the cache.

If there were such software, some of us would be tempted to bring a desktop PC to locate a cache. That would make things interesting. :rolleyes:

Street map software often accepts GPS locations. Just needs a Bluetooth or USB GPS receiver to locate a position. So that would work as well as a car GPSr, showing current Lat/Long (and as cumbersome as the above video). It would be handy when a caching event's in a remote location (state park, etc.) where you can pull up Geocaching.com, but once you arrive at the pavilion, you could type your coords manually.

It seems strange that no-one has mentioned "mobile PC". This is a garmin product and good for in the car use to see an area around you so you dont miss any caches in an area. It will get you as close as you can drive then you walk with the handheld.

It seems to be a very good solution. It's a same that there isn't a trial version for evaluation.

I never buy a software without try it fist.

Thank you for the tip.

It seems strange that no-one has mentioned "mobile PC". This is a garmin product and good for in the car use to see an area around you so you dont miss any caches in an area. It will get you as close as you can drive then you walk with the handheld.

I've used the Garmin Mobile XT with my Windows Mobile PDA and it works great. If I recall things correctly the Mobile XT software is the predecessor to the Mobile PC software you are speaking about. With the Mobile XT software, I have spoken turn-by-turn directions, and even the traffic updates if I have internet access (and pay the subscription fees).