Information Overload?

StevenWill

Hi All,

I have a question for you wise people out there.

I have been geocaching for a while now and have a Garmin 76csx, however I would like to go paperless. I have tried the Palm VX using spinner and a serial port but you really have to be dedicated to go this route as it takes a heap of time to spin the caches and then download them via serial port.

So to my question, is it better to get one of the new GPS units or go the PDA route? I was looking at the Colorado 550t but it seems this unit only has the capacity to use the last 5 logs and limited storage space. I am looking for something that will allow me to download all the logs with clues etc and then still be able to handle at least 1000 caches without splitting them into two or multi separate pages that you have to open separately to search for the cache that you are looking for.

I know I want a lot but what the hell been doing it for a while and looking for an easier way than reams of paper but want it easy to update and keep all the data with me etc, etc.

Any recommendations?

Just by the way I am still very happy with the functioning of my Garmin 76CSX, so if I buy a PDA I will not need a new GPS, however will need the specific software for PDA as only have GSAK at present.

Any ideas welcome.

Thank you

Steve

Hi All,

I have been geocaching for a while now and have a Garmin 76csx, however I would like to go paperless. I have tried the Palm VX using spinner and a serial port but you really have to be dedicated to go this route as it takes a heap of time to spin the caches and then download them via serial port.

So to my question, is it better to get one of the new GPS units or go the PDA route? I was looking at the Colorado 550t but it seems this unit only has the capacity to use the last 5 logs and limited storage space. I am looking for something that will allow me to download all the logs with clues etc and then still be able to handle at least 1000 caches without splitting them into two or multi separate pages that you have to open separately to search for the cache that you are looking for.

I know I want a lot but what the hell been doing it for a while and looking for an easier way than reams of paper but want it easy to update and keep all the data with me etc, etc.

Any recommendations?

Just by the way I am still very happy with the functioning of my Garmin 76CSX, so if I buy a PDA I will not need a new GPS, however will need the specific software for PDA as only have GSAK at present.

Any ideas welcome.

Thank you

Steve

"All" the logs might be a bit tough, but even my Oregon 200 can do paperless and 1000 caches in it. No special software needed to load GPX files to it, although GSAK makes life simpler for certain.

FWIW, I'd suggest you buy something a little more modern than the Oregon 200 so you get a good basemap and possibly Chirp support if you go Garmin. Cost isn't that much more. If I had it to do over, I'd have waited for a sale on the 300 probably.

Hi All,

I have been geocaching for a while now and have a Garmin 76csx, however I would like to go paperless.

<snip>

I'm quite happy with my 76CSx, palm M500 with cachemate and GSAK. I use GSAK to load the M500 and GPS, oh, and also my Nuvi for easy navigation to the cache. Your not going to be able to get all the logs. The limit at GS is 5 logs in a PQ and 20 if you download from the cache page. The only way to get more is to aggregate them with GSAK. I use the cachemate on the palm to do my logging and then when I get home my cachematelogging macro make logging a breeze. As far has hints or maybe some extra info I put in the user notes the Garmin CsvPOIExport does a really nice job of putting that info on my 76.

You can find palm M500's for $30 or so, cachemate is $8. If your on a 64-bit Win7 (or Vista) system you'll need fileman for another $10. If you go this route and need help with the Win7 set up, give a shout or use the search feature and you'll find my post. Or you could buy a paperless unit for several hundred more.

The only way to get ALL the logs is to have something with internet, and that will depend on where you're at. Most modern GPS's can easily handle 1000 waypoints and 5 logs (may need to upgrade the memory card on some units).

If you use GSAK or learn you can also add notes (which can include info you learned from reading all the logs before going out).

If you have a smart phone you can very likely use cachemate or another program to load the gpx file onto the phone rather than using a PDA. I had cachemate on an old Palm, but when I got my Droid a year ago I moved cachemate to it and now have my cache information on the Droid. For my casual caching outings I rarely take my trusty 76cs since the GPS on the Droid seems to be quite good. I have a bookmark that I use for random local caches and all I need to do is run a PQ from the bookmark and load the file into my Droid. Takes only a few moments and I am good to go. When a new cache is published in my area I add it to the bookmark so I have the current caches I might seek. When I find a cache I delete it from the bookmark after I log it so my download stays up to date. Works for me!

I was looking at the Colorado 550t but it seems this unit only has the capacity to use the last 5 logs and limited storage space. I am looking for something that will allow me to download all the logs with clues etc and then still be able to handle at least 1000 caches without splitting them into two or multi separate pages that you have to open separately to search for the cache that you are looking for.

the number of logs has nothing to do with the GPS, its what the PQ's will give you

what's your definition of "limited space" and "splitting them into two or multi separate pages that you have to open separately to search for the cache that you are looking for"?...the oregon holds 5000 caches and has an SD card slot too... :unsure:

I keep a local database and update it twice a week. I use GSAK for the data. So the cache data in that database contains almost ALL the logs.

I use a GSAK macro to send the caches to my Oregon 400. The macro will allow me to set the number of logs. However I find that more then 10 make it almost impossible to open the cache description.

If you use cachemate and a PDA you can load ALL the logs to that using GSAK. Your choice. But........I find it much easier not to have to worry about two devices. The tradeoff of 10 logs is worth it to me.

YMMMV