GC12 5/12/2000?

dukeofurl01

Reading through the past logs on a geocache can tell you all sorts of things about what other cachers have experienced there.

Looks like it depends on how close you want to drive. Some folks have gotten within 200 feet, others have parked a quarter mile away. Your mileage may vary. (nyuk nyuk)

Because I will have an impatient muggle with me, how long in time from the parking place to GZ is the hike to GC12 5/12/2000?

I am headed there this coming July so I've been researching this as well. From what I hear, during the right season, with the right vehicle, and navigating the proper logging roads, you should be able to get to within 200 or so feet of this cache while driving. If any one of those factors does not fall into place, it's a pretty good hike. And I could be wrong as I have yet to visit the cache. But that's what I am being told.

You realize that GC12 is on the lower slopes of Mt. Hood, down an unplowed logging road that is probably under a few feet of snow right now. It would be a long hike in from hwy 26.

If you are going up on the mountain you will need chains and will need to stop at the Zigzag ranger station off the 26 to get a snopark permit (maybe on that one, I'm not sure where the permit area starts) and some maps, some advice and let someone know where you are going.

Here is a link to the ranger station.

http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/socialservic...ccss0291aa.html

Here is a weather link to the the nearest ski park (the lowest one on the mountain), just up the road from Zigzag and Welches. There will be a new foot of snow come Tuesday.

http://www.onthesnow.com/oregon/mt-hood-sk...wl/weather.html

I would not try for this cache in December, but that is just me.

If you go, go prepared and don't become another mountain statistic. Good luck.

See this log - be sure to watch the thrilling YouTube video "Escape From GC12" - it should give you some idea how far back in it is, I was driving about 35 MPH as I escaped :rolleyes:

The road in that video looks great - way better than many I've taken Hydi down in Washington state. Sounds like easy going once (if?) you find the right route.

Edited by hydnsek

The logging road that takes you close to the cache is unplowwed in winter, but its pretty much a paved road until a quarter mile from the cache. Much better than the last bit of road to where I parked by the quarry about .75miles away along the ridge trail.

I would suggest wait until next summer to go and then also go for GC17. GC17 is in a field of bear grass that will be in bloom in mid to late June with an excellent view of Mount Hood.

The logging road that takes you close to the cache is unplowwed in winter, but its pretty much a paved road until a quarter mile from the cache. Much better than the last bit of road to where I parked by the quarry about .75miles away along the ridge trail.

I would suggest wait until next summer to go and then also go for GC17. GC17 is in a field of bear grass that will be in bloom in mid to late June with an excellent view of Mount Hood.

I'd say only the first 500 ft, off the main road, is paved. The remainder was good quality dirt and gravel, sufficient for a passenger car to navigate. For further consideration, that video starts a few hundred feet down the road from the puddle I parked at (which is very near the cache) and there are only a few places open enough to turn around(!) Which is a serious consideration, unless you like driving backwards for about a half mile.

Edited by DragonsWest

I'd say only the first 500 ft, off the main road, is paved. The remainder was good quality dirt and gravel, sufficient for a passenger car to navigate. For further consideration, that video starts a few hundred feet down the road from the puddle I parked at (which is very near the cache) and there are only a few places open enough to turn around(!) Which is a serious consideration, unless you like driving backwards for about a half mile.

All things considered, with high clearance vehicle, how close can one get to GC17? That's the only cache I can't seem to get information on.