Travel bug placement problem - help!

Gnomehofs

We dropped off a long-held TB at last on Saturday but didn't have access to our computer to log the drop-off. Meanwhile, someone has 'grabbed' the TB from the cache and logged it. When I went to log the cache and the TB drop-off, the TB no longer appears on my inventory as it is now 'in the hands of' someone else.

I really wanted to log my drop-off properly......is there a way around this? Do i have to 'grab' the TB back so that i can log it?

I'm hoping it's a simple solution, but i've never had this timing issue happen to me before so i'm not sure what to do....any help gratefully appreciated!

One could contact the cacher who rudely grabbed the bug, and try to work things out so that the bug is properly dropped into, and retrieved from the cache.

If that fails, one could be a grumpy dolphin and grab the bug back, and drop it into the cache, e-mailing the other cacher to pck it up again. I've had mixed results with this method.

Or, one could just say "Oh, well" while loudly cursing the idiot other cacher. (I saw that happen last weekend.) This is probably in the best interest of the TB, though far less satisfying.

Problems do arise if the cache in question is one of the TBs goals. Then care should be taken to get the TB logged into that cache.

One could contact the cacher who rudely grabbed the bug, and try to work things out so that the bug is properly dropped into, and retrieved from the cache.

If that fails, one could be a grumpy dolphin and grab the bug back, and drop it into the cache, e-mailing the other cacher to pck it up again. I've had mixed results with this method.

Or, one could just say "Oh, well" while loudly cursing the idiot other cacher. (I saw that happen last weekend.) This is probably in the best interest of the TB, though far less satisfying.

Problems do arise if the cache in question is one of the TBs goals. Then care should be taken to get the TB logged into that cache.

As a fairly new cacher, this post baffles me.

If I went to a cache and found a bug, I'd take it, and log it at the earliest opportunity. Why does this make me rude, or an idiot?

Thanks Harry for a very good answer! In the end, I did grab back Freibeuter (the TB) to log it properly with our cache find and I have written a nice email to the grabbers, explaining what I have done and asking them if they can 'retrieve' it again from the cache in which I have now 'placed' it so that they can rightfully place it now in their hands and make the log correct.

It may seem picky to some, but the fact is that the TB had been logged as 'grabbed' from us and this is not true. Leaving it as it was made it look like a kind of virtual theft had taken place while we weren't looking!!!

We placed it very carefully in a cache that fitted in with the TB's goal to visit North Sea or East Sea areas and we had avoided other caches that did not fit this brief. I was quite upset when I went to log the placing of the TB in the cache, only to find out that it was no longer 'in my hands'.

I can't be the only person who does not have immediate access to a computer when dropping off and logging caches......Maybe it would be an idea if a button can be added to gain approval from the person holding the TB before it can be logged as such. That would give people like me a few days' grace in which to actually log everything properly!

To Lifesaver: nothing rude, idiotic, or wrong with logging a find at the earliest opportunity. However, the way I understand geocaching is this - when there is a TB involved, retrieving from a cache and grabbing from someone are two different scenarios. The person who picked up the TB I had dropped off, did not give me enough time to log the correct scenario and just put it down as a grab (from me, not the cache). This meant that the TB in effect would not even have been logged as being in this cache. Plainly it was, and should be logged as such. The 'grabber' should have given me a little bit of time to correctly log the TB instead of making it up as he went along......I think that's what Harry Dolphin meant.

As a fairly new cacher, this post baffles me.

If I went to a cache and found a bug, I'd take it, and log it at the earliest opportunity. Why does this make me rude, or an idiot?

It does not make you rude or an idiot.

Sometimes people will place a TB in a cache and not be able to log it until a couple days later for whatever reason.

What I do if I find a TB in a cache other than the one it is listed in, is to wait a few days to see if someone logs it late. I usually post a 'Note' saying I have the TB but don't do the 'grab' until a couple days later, or I am about to drop it into another cache.

It is a good practice to attach a note to a TB you drop if you will be delayed logging it. I have come across a few of those which is really helpful.

Two choices....both good.

1 - ignore the whole thing.

2 - Log it in to your hands. Log it into the cache. ( I would only bother doing this if you want to have the icon. Some of them are special)

..... and the best choice is............... 1 :anitongue:

Sometimes I pick up a travel bug and drop it off in another cache on the same day. Many times someone grabs it out of that cache on the same day. I just move on.

As a travel bug owner, I am much, much, much more worried about my travel bug vanishing. :D

ne could contact the cacher who rudely grabbed the bug, and try to work things out so that the bug is properly dropped into, and retrieved from the cache.

I don't think the name calling is necessary. My general policy is I got it I log it. This whole thing of waiting or emailing to get them to log it in is way beyond what I want to spend my time doing it.

That being said if I grab it from someone before I log the cache (which is usual) I do the visit thing when I log the cache. Did the previous holder bother to check to see if that had been done or did he assume the grabber didn't.

I am surprised he could grab it back, he must have written down the secret number. I have never had one grabbed back.

I am surprised he could grab it back, he must have written down the secret number. I have never had one grabbed back.

Grabbing it back without first coordinating it with the current holder can really get things outta of whack. For example what if they don't redo the Retrieve and simply drop it somewhere? Now technically the bug is lost.

I wouldn't care if someone grabbed it way from me before I had a chance to do the Drop and I would even give them the thumbs up for doing the Drop then Retrieve so the tracking stays accurate.

The owner can fix the logging at anytime down the road and it doesn't require coordinating a Grab/Drop/Retrieve with any other cacher.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The most important thing is that the current location (or holder) of the TB be correct.

All the 'Oh it wasn't done in proper order" doesn't make sense. If someone grabbed it back from me (which has never happened since nobody I know keeps a written record of the tracking number and w/o that you can't grab it) and I log at first opportunity I would just drop it off somewhere w/o grabbing it back. Why should I go to all the extra work because of someone else's action.

Be careful about grabbing back as the current holder may not respond as you wish.

If someone grabs it from you the best solution is two Martini's and a good video.

And yes I am not as nice as Blue Deuce who might be the nicest person in the forums. And according to one poster I would rudely grab it and make sure the owner knew where it was. Sorry if that is rude.

Since I can't find the "edit" button in the new forums I thought I would add that Eartha is right up their with Blue Duece since she/he will actually go back and correct the logs (moderator's have that power, sort of Harry Potter like). I actually have a t-shirt (bought by me) with a picture of an a** on it and below the statement "Yes I am the smart one" Maybe someone can tell me how to edit a post.

And why I can't add the monitor topic when I post. While most of the changes are nice some have left me in a state of confusion (which could be caused by me just finishing off the Irish Cream that my family drinks copious amounts of over xmas weekend.

Since I can't find the "edit" button in the new forums I thought I would add that Eartha is right up their with Blue Duece since she/he will actually go back and correct the logs (moderator's have that power, sort of Harry Potter like). I actually have a t-shirt (bought by me) with a picture of an a** on it and below the statement "Yes I am the smart one" Maybe someone can tell me how to edit a post.

And why I can't add the monitor topic when I post. While most of the changes are nice some have left me in a state of confusion (which could be caused by me just finishing off the Irish Cream that my family drinks copious amounts of over xmas weekend.

Heck as for helpful and nice then your talking Eartha, The Blorenges, The Hermit Crabs, and a few select others.

The edit button will be the third left option (from the right) next to Reply and MultiQuote. Not sure how long they keep the edit option in place. I'll have to monitor.

Have a nice day you...(personal attack and obscenities removed) :anibad:

Edited by BlueDeuce