Best Garmin Nuvi for car when caching?

Rustynails

What is the best Gamin Nuvi to use in your car for caching, including cache icons and information?

Right now I use a Gamin 450T for caching. I'm looking for a good nuvi to use in my car to guide me to cache locactions and include cache icons and information. I'm not a computer nerd so I like something easy to use. I do know how to do pocket querys. Thanks

Edited by rustynails.

I've used both the 660 and 755 for navigating my car to somewhere near the cache. I like the 660 way better. I use it with the Nuvi paperless macro. Both are discontinued, I believe.

What I like about the 660 and 755 are that they have powered mounts, making it easier to remove from the car to load in fresh POIs. They also take full size SD cards (instead of micro SD).

I recently grabbed a Nuvi 295W for car use, and it's turning out to be a GREAT general purpose Geocaching gadget! The 295W is essentially Garmins G60 Nuvifone, with the "fone" portion removed. It's thin & sleek, still retains WIFI connectivity (email & browser built-in) as well as a 3MP geotagging camera!

Also sweet for Geocaching, it has a tri-axis compass, and even has a wrist lanyard hole. And it works great with the GSAK Nuvi macro.

The sweetest icing on the cake about it is, Garmin is dumping them CHEAP to get rid if it's G60 components. I grabbed one brand new for $138CDN!

I've used both the 660 and 755 for navigating my car to somewhere near the cache. I like the 660 way better. I use it with the Nuvi paperless macro. Both are discontinued, I believe.

What I like about the 660 and 755 are that they have powered mounts, making it easier to remove from the car to load in fresh POIs. They also take full size SD cards (instead of micro SD).

My first Nuvi was a 660, then got a 750, then just got a refurbished 755 a week ago ($135 at Amazon). I don't know why you prefer the 660, I prefer the both the 755 and 750 over it. Maybe cause I couldn't do without the FM transmitter to play my mp3's on the radio. But I also remember what a pain in the heine it was to delete waypoints enmasse on the 660 - very simple with the 7XX.

Anyhow, the Nuvi's come in many flavors and there is sure to be one that fits your needs and price range. I just got my wife a refurbished 1350t (lifetime FM traffic) from Amazon for $99. That, in my opinion, is a steal. The unit came unblemished and works flawlessly.

I don't know why you prefer the 660, I prefer the both the 755 and 750 over it. Maybe cause I couldn't do without the FM transmitter to play my mp3's on the radio. But I also remember what a pain in the heine it was to delete waypoints enmasse on the 660 - very simple with the 7XX.

I use the paperless macro for Nuvi, so all my geocaches are custom POIs. There's no way to delete a custom POI entry without regenerating a new set of POI, so deleting waypoints is not an issue.

I have proximity alert set to 2000 ft, and proximity set to "prompt". If I don't do that, custom POIs will not show up on my Nuvi map.

What I like about the 660:

1. When showing nearby custom POIs, the text is larger

2. When I look at the 2D map, and choose a point, it will select that point to allow me to navigate there, instead of jumping to a nearby custom POI.

3. When viewing nearby custom POIs, the 755 will re-order the list every 1 second. It is totally stupid, I have to make a video to illustrate this because no one would believe it when I describe it to them. Trying to click on a POI from that list is like playing a video game.

4. While the 755 is faster, it also occasionally stutters - freezes for a short time.

I find the FM transmitter to be too weak. I prefer connecting to either line in or cassette adapter. The 660 has an FM transmitter as well, incidentally.

Although any nuvi will do the job with a bit of tinkering, the nuvi 500/550 is designed for geocaching.

What other nuvi is designed for geocaching?

There are only 2 NUVIs that are made specifically for Geocaching they are the 500 or the 550 the others will work but not as well, and to get the same results as the 500/550 you have to jump through a bunch of hoops, The 500/550 are made to take out of the car and put on the walking mode to actually find the cache, I do not believe the other Nuvi's have that option.

Why not get the real deal 500/550 that is made for Geocaching rather then get one that you have to try to make it work, when it really is not designed for it. When I bought mine it was on sale at R.E.I. for $220 pretty cheap IMO.

It's like using a 14 pound Slege Hammer to pound a small nail into a pice of wood, it will work but a small hammer would work better.

Scubasonic

Although any nuvi will do the job with a bit of tinkering, the nuvi 500/550 is designed for geocaching.

Are there any other Nuvi designed for geocaching?

I'm really not sure how many times you need to ask the same question over and over again there are only 2 Nuvis that are designed specifically for Geocaching, they are the Nuvi 500 and the 550 END OF STORY !!!

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I'm really not sure how many times you need to ask the same question over and over again there are only 2 Nuvis that are designed specifically for Geocaching, they are the Nuvi 500 and the 550 END OF STORY !!!

Scubasonic

No need to get so pissy! Computer glitch caused double repys.

Ok, whats the diffrence between a 500 and 550?

Scubasonic

No need to get so pissy! Computer glitch caused double repys.

Ok, whats the diffrence between a 500 and 550?

I believe that the 500 does not include Alaska or the Topo maps where the 550 does. Other then that they are the same price of the 550 might be a little more.

Scubasonic

If you're looking for a Nuvi for use in the car, you don't need to get the 500 / 550. Those units are designed to be a combination of a Nuvi with the rugged features of a hiking unit (field replacable batteries, water resistant) but you end up with a smaller screen. Since you already have a 450T, you don't have to get the 500/550.