The Relatives are visiting and want to go geocaching

ventura_kids

I don't save them. I have taken relatives to find geocaches that I've already found, and of course I take them to my favorites. That way I know it's not going to be a dissapointment. The last time I took some relatives, I picked caches with a variety of terrain/difficulties. It was a nice primer for them.

It depends on whether or not they are already cachers. If they are, I will hold off on some that sound interesting, have great comments, etc.... so we can have the experience together. If there is a DNF, it's ok, they are used to them. When I have non-cachers, who want to know what it is about, I generally bring them to a variety of caches that I have already found. That way, I ensure they have a fun experience first time out.

I normally skip a dozen or so caches that are quite close to my home.

I do this because all the relatives want to go Geocaching when they visit.

Perhaps I should go find them ahead of time.....just to ensure we have fun actually finding them.

Do you save easy or clever caches for your visitors?

My wife and 19 y.o. daughter don't much care for geocaching, so I pre-screen caches for them. I only take them to caches that I have found which are in easy-to-get-to interesting locations and contain trade swag. Since they don't see any other kind they think all caches are like that, and I'm not telling them any different!

When taking visitors caching I am not that selective but do try to take them to caches that I have found. Watching them hunt is even more fun than hunting it myself, and it saves traveling guests a DNF if I have to give them a clue.

In both cases I don't tell them that I have found it until they make the find or DNF it after a good try.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

There are some caches around here I have found that are either really clever hides, cool containers or just really neat spots to go see. If some one hasn't been caching I will load these up and let them go at it. I'd hate to have someone who is new to caching or just learned about it to get stuck finding yet another 35mm or pill bottle stuck in the fork of an evergreen tree. Just I want them to see the sport at its best to start off with and that is kinda rewarding to me when they have a good time.

Edited by hoosier guy

When I take new geocachers (or non-geocachers) on a geocaching trip, I select the caches we're going to search for carefully. I don't worry about whether I've found them previously or not. (Actually, I know with more certainty what the ones I've already found will be like, but I don't specifically choose caches that I have or have not found.) The only criterion is whether those I'm with are likely to enjoy them.

I'd take them to a couple. Give them something that makes them go "Wow, this is fun!" Start off with a regular size in the woods that's easy. Keep the walk short, 1/4 mile or less. The point is to cache, not hike. Maybe grab 2 if there's a couple in the same park. Once they find the first, they'll probably want to try again.

Then, take them to a "cool" urban hide so they can see something clever, that they can't believe is a cache.

I frequently go back to caches I've been to when friends want to go to them.

Hmmm... Reminds me of the time my brother visited. At 6 AM, he said: There's a new cache 1.6 miles from here. Wanna come along? - Have fun! He FTFed it.

Do I save caches for visiting relatives? Nope. Always lots of caches to find. I'll take them to ones I've enjoyed. Or show off mine. Or we'll go caching 15 miles away where there are plenty of caches. Or, even more fun, we'll go on a road trip! My sister picked up 9 states on one visit.