Garmin Dakota 10 or 20?

DPDISXR4Ti

I've finally decided to get a GPS - yes, I'm late to the dance - I don't own one at all despite being a runner, biker, hiker, and field sales rep. Go figure?

It seems to me that the Dakota form factor fits my needs best - I'm not a geocacher but probably will become one on occassion. The smaller size of the Dakota seems like a good "fit" for the bicycles, yet the screen size makes it usable in the car on occassion (I usually know where I'm going).

Here's my primary question in trying to decide between the 10 and 20... Will I still get elevation data with the 10, or do I need the 20 for that? I don't require super accurate elevation data - it seems that's the incremental advantage that the 20 offers over the 10, but I want to be sure I get basic elevation data.

Any input appreciated.

Whatever you buy, be sure it can handle a SD.

That's one of the other differences between the 10 and 20 - the 10 does not accept a microSD. But does it matter for my needs? The 10 comes with 850MB built-in.

Here's the bundle I'm looking at for $219:

http://www.tigergps.com/garmindakota10bh.h...CFQ2e7QodvlqGOQ

Note that it includes the City Navigator DVD, which otherwise sells for $100. I'm not seeing anyone else including this in their bundles.

The Dakota 10 does not have external memory option. Like splashy said, make sure it will handle SD which the Dakota 10 does not. The absence of external memory limits the amount of map area you can load. It might be ok for you if you only travel within a few states.

Just about any GPS will give you elevation but some GPS’s have barometric sensors that give you more accurate elevation. The Dakota 10 does not have theses sensors and the Dakota 20 does.

I have owned both, and I like them both. I believe the Dakota 20 is worth the extra $50-$75 to spend, especially after you have a GPSr for a while.

To answer your question, both give you elevation information, but the 20 is much more accurate. The 10 gets its elevation data from triangulation of GPS satellites and is okay, but not very accurate. The 20 has an actual barometric altimeter that provides fairly accurate elevation information. In addition, the 20 has an electronic compass and a micro SD memory card. The compass is handy when you are stopped and want to know your direction, and the memory card stores maps, waypoints, geocaches, routes, trails, etc.

I have owned and played with over 50 different kinds and makes and models of GPS, and for your money, I think you are on the right track with the Dakota.

you'll get elevation data from every GPSr, even if it doesn't have a barometric altimeter. it can be 10-20 meters off or even more and will change and jump around randomly, but it's good enough to give you an idea.

as a geocacher, the integrated compass of the 20 will make more of a difference though, but isn't strictly necessary. the lack of an SD card slot on the 10 can also be an issue as already mentioned, this mostly depends on what kind of maps you want to use. 850 MB internal memory is plenty for regional maps, but the complete north america routable map won't fit.

Edited by dfx

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm thinking that elevation accuracy +/- 30 feet won't be a concern for me - it's more for novelty purposes of knowing how high I climbed.

If the actual price delta was $50-75 indeed I'd be inclined to go with the 20. But with the promo they've got going (check the link above), that includes the Navigator software, it's more like a $200 delta, roughly double the price!

I've finally decided to get a GPS - yes, I'm late to the dance - I don't own one at all despite being a runner, biker, hiker, and field sales rep. Go figure?

It seems to me that the Dakota form factor fits my needs best - I'm not a geocacher but probably will become one on occassion. The smaller size of the Dakota seems like a good "fit" for the bicycles, yet the screen size makes it usable in the car on occassion (I usually know where I'm going).

Here's my primary question in trying to decide between the 10 and 20... Will I still get elevation data with the 10, or do I need the 20 for that? I don't require super accurate elevation data - it seems that's the incremental advantage that the 20 offers over the 10, but I want to be sure I get basic elevation data.

Any input appreciated.

Hi, take this for what it's worth. Everybody says you need this or you need that. When I use my 60 CX, everyone says you need a 60 CSX. When I use my Dakota 10, everyone says you need the compass, you need the card, etc. What it comes down to is the person using the gps. I found plenty of caches with a Garmin XL, a yellow plain Etrex, GPS III, Garmin 76 CS, Nuvi, 60 CX, and now a Dakota 10. the fact is, none had the compass nor the altitude, but i still found pretty much what I was looking for. As far as the Dakota 10, I have topos and street maps for most of Pennsylvania, street maps for PA to Florida, maps for Mexico, Cayman Islands, and Jamaica, and am only using 328 meg of 850. You be the judge. You only have to satisfy yourself.

Here's the bundle I'm looking at for $219:

http://www.tigergps.com/garmindakota10bh.h...CFQ2e7QodvlqGOQ

Note that it includes the City Navigator DVD, which otherwise sells for $100. I'm not seeing anyone else including this in their bundles.

I need to correct what I wrote here. It appears that the standard "Bike & Hike" bundle includes the City Navigator DVD. I've now found it as inexpensive as $184 shipped. Seems like too good a deal to pass up.

The question is not he needs this or that, he most likely needs a SD and if he goes geocaching he might need chirp reception, maybe not now but later in time.

The gps will give altitude anyway (more or less a few feet) and you don't need a compass (else you buy one for a few $)

A good battery time and at least a beep as a sound warning, because sooner or later you use it in a car.

Edited by splashy