Going caching tommorw.

Delons

Isn't caching without a GPS Letterboxing?

Whatever happened to Ashnikes? I saw his name on a few logs I signed in Florida.

No. Cachers without a GPS are still utilizing the coordinates to find caches. They are just doing it the hard way.

Exactly. It is possible to cache that way. We cached with Google Earth before we had our GPS. It was a bit frustrating, and practically impossible to find caches in the forest, but we did manage some with some measuring, and guessing, and matching of landmarks. I think that the OP will be able to find a fair number of caches, especially urban ones without a GPS, and I think that's fine!

Were going for a day of caching tommrow and I was wondering what tools, tips or anything else you have to suggest to me! It will be my first "Big" day of caching! I'm not using a GPS, in my opinion it's more fun, kinda adds to the challenge!

I'm going to be caching around Here.

Thanks!

-Delons

I have no suggestions since the first thing I would tell you that is needed is a GPS....but hey that's how I roll.

Scubasonic

I just think Google Maps, and instinc is as good as a GPSr

Well I can see how you could feel that way with th amount of finds you have.

SS

Yes, because after all, geocachers should be judged based on how many finds they have. :huh:

You might get a multi-cache or a puzzle, if you go out and find the first clue, then return to the computer and figure out where the next stage is. I suppose if you have good skills with a paper map, you might plot the lat & long coordinates in the field. The offset caches I found were probably less than 1000 feet away from the posted coordinates, so it would not be impossible to get there with just a map, a compass, and paper to do calculations.
I've found hundreds of caches without a GPS receiver. Early on, I did multi-caches in multiple trips, as you described. First, I'd find the first stage and get the coordinates for the second. Then I'd look up the coordinates for the second stage in the satellite view of Google Maps, and later I'd return for the second stage.

After doing a few like that, I figure out that I could use the difference between the coordinates of one stage and the coordinates of another to determine the distances and directions to pace off. Most offsets are close enough that they're easy to pace off accurately, but I was able to pace off stages that were several hundred yards apart a couple times. My experience with compass courses in scouts helped.

You might get a multi-cache or a puzzle, if you go out and find the first clue, then return to the computer and figure out where the next stage is. I suppose if you have good skills with a paper map, you might plot the lat & long coordinates in the field. The offset caches I found were probably less than 1000 feet away from the posted coordinates, so it would not be impossible to get there with just a map, a compass, and paper to do calculations.
I've found hundreds of caches without a GPS receiver. Early on, I did multi-caches in multiple trips, as you described. First, I'd find the first stage and get the coordinates for the second. Then I'd look up the coordinates for the second stage in the satellite view of Google Maps, and later I'd return for the second stage.

After doing a few like that, I figure out that I could use the difference between the coordinates of one stage and the coordinates of another to determine the distances and directions to pace off. Most offsets are close enough that they're easy to pace off accurately, but I was able to pace off stages that were several hundred yards apart a couple times. My experience with compass courses in scouts helped.

Very cool. You saying you did this for a while until you got a GPS, or you still do it regularly? As I mentioned in one of the several threads started by the OP (not sure if it was this one), there is an Orienteerer type guy from Pa. who has thousands of finds without a GPS. He hasn't seen any of these threads to comment yet though.

However, it's become apparent very recently that our enthusiastic new cacher is a very young person. Think Pinehurst without a GPS. :huh: Makes perfect sense now. Good job finding 4 more yesterday, Delons.

Here's an example of a cache that is easier to find without a GPS:

http://coord.info/GC18MVN

It's in an area between two building, under a metal shed roof. You can get GPS reception there, but the multipath error makes the coordinates bounce a great deal. If you try to follow your GPS arrow, it will take a long time to find this one. If you look at the Google Maps aerial photos and read the description carefully, it's an easy find.

Very cool. You saying you did this for a while until you got a GPS, or you still do it regularly?
I don't think I've paced off the location of a multi-cache stage since I bought my first GPSr.

Lately, I've been using my Android phone most of the time (first with GeoBeagle, then as a beta-tester for the Groundspeak app). I typically use the satellite view of Google Maps to navigate to the cache, including later stages of multi-caches.