Subscribing to a user: get notified when they post a log?

Albany Canucks

The feature that lets you `watch' a specific cache is a great one. But I'd love to see a feature where you can `watch' a specific user, and get notification every time they post a log. Is this possible, or has it ever been considered? As far as I can tell, notifications are currently only possible based on location, not on users. I try to keep up with the activities of several other geocaching friends, and it seems to me that this would be a very useful feature that other people might like to see as well. It could also serve as a useful way to stay informed whenever a specific user whose caches you particularly enjoy posts a new cache.

I agree, too creepy!

But you still have the ability to see where your friends cached today, by just clicking on their cache name. This will also work for any geocacher. Most cachers log at the end of the day, so I am not sure why a minute by minute email would be useful.

You can also easily see activity on a cache by looking at the cache page on a regular basis, but is it handier to have it on a watch list and receive an email every time something is logged on it. Just saves checking on a regular basis to keep up to date.

I like the idea of having the same feature for friends - on an opt in basis of course. I like reading my friends logs and seeing what caches they enjoyed. And while we do get to talk about them it would be good to receive their logs when they log them. I also like seeing their photos on their logs when we have been out together (in case they manage to get a compromising shot of me up a tree for example), so a link to their logs on the email would be good for that.

The issue with looking up their finds by clicking on their cache names is that takes you to a list of their found caches, which you then have to click on each individual cache and scroll down till you find their log, which sometimes means loading all logs for that cache if it has had a busy day.

I agree it would be nice to be able to get the logs in the same way as you do for caches on a watch list, with links to the caches, the individual log and the user profile.

I know it can be done other ways, but a user watchlist would just be more convenient. And if everyone agrees, I don't see the problem.

A Stalker feature.

...or just a more convenient way of delivering information that (as it has already been pointed out) is already readily available on the website.

Anyone stalking me would get very bored very soon I think :antenna:

Remember when the find count was removed form the friends page? Loads of folk wanted it back. Yet that info was available too with just a few clicks of the mouse.

I see this as being about the way information is delivered and presented.

And as long as the stalker and stalkee are consenting adults there shouldn't be any objection from anyone.

(I can't believe I just used the word 'stalkee', sorry)

The issue with looking up their finds by clicking on their cache names is that takes you to a list of their found caches, which you then have to click on each individual cache and scroll down till you find their log, which sometimes means loading all logs for that cache if it has had a busy day.

Firefox.

Add on "Multi Links" allows you to select links to open in Tabs or Windows.

Greasemonkey script "GC VIP List" allows you to have friends listed as VIP's, and links to their log.

Bear and Ragged, Stalker in Training... ;)

:antenna:

Firefox.

Add on "Multi Links" allows you to select links to open in Tabs or Windows.

Greasemonkey script "GC VIP List" allows you to have friends listed as VIP's, and links to their log.

Bear and Ragged, Stalker in Training... ;)

:antenna:

That's creepy ;);)

No, I have VIP list too but it's broken by GC Tidy. If I run the two together the load more logs works and loads all the logs but does not highlight vip logs which are in the additional logs once they are loaded.

I agree though, when it was working it was a much quicker way of getting to people's logs.