10/17/2010 I am starting to be an official Geocachier

colinbtz

Tomorrow I am starting out to become an official Geocachier. I have only recieved a first hide kit and some other swag for myself an 2 Geocoins and a couple of Geotags. I have not yet attempted to find a Cache yet so I have no idea of what to expect when I find one, so, I really have a ver limited idea of what I am supposed to leave, that is why I am here asking. I know that for official what I am leaving in the box is 1.Pencil 2.Official Geocaching Logbook 3.An activated Geocoin. Besides that is there anything I am missing? Also once I hide my cache, what do I do then? I know I have to record its co ordinates but other than that can anyone give me as most or as many suggestions as possible. I am doing this Geocaching from scratch I have no friends that introduced me to the sport, so what I know and what little ive ben able to figure out on my own has been from the web, and reading blog posts. I hope to get the answers I need by tomorrow mid morning so that I can go ahead with my plans, cause once I start trust me, im gonna be the one who makes this game how it should be, so pease HELP, I will make it worth all Geocachiers time and adventures memorable, if of course you are up to my challenges, both the easy ones and the hard ones.. I embrace this kind of sport and can show people places they never knew existed :grin:

I'm on my iPhone, so I'll take the time to sY welcome to the addiction. I hope your aspirations come true, but lots of people will suggest you become a FINDER before attempting to become a HIDER. That way you learn the in's and out's of the game before taking in the responsibily that being a cache owner is. I have just reached 111 finds today, and am (not so) patiently waiting for our new gpsmap 60csx to arrive so we can accurately place our FIRST cache.

Some people will say that you need to find 100 caches before hiding one. Don't take that too seriously. Do find a few first. If you do hide one before 100 finds, make sure you have done lots of reading. And yah, read those guidlines, and understand them. Do some forum searching to answer questions you may have (the forum's search function blows, so use google like this

site:forums.Groundspeak.com search term

...I hope to get the answers I need by tomorrow mid morning so that I can go ahead with my plans...

B)

There's lots I'd like to write in response to your first post but I'll just start with "What's so special about tomorrow mid-morning"? :D

I think your entry into the world of geocaching will be much more rewarding in the long run if you start by exploring its many aspects slowly. You don't even mention what sort of GPS you have to start finding/hiding caches.

You don't have to jump in at the deep end by hiding a cache on your first (or second) day or even your first (or second) month.

Please... reconsider... and go and find a variety of hides first.

Happy caching

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

...I hope to get the answers I need by tomorrow mid morning so that I can go ahead with my plans...

B)

There's lots I'd like to write in response to your first post but I'll just start with "What's so special about tomorrow mid-morning"? :D

I think you're entry into the world of geocaching will be much more rewarding in the long run if you start by exploring its many aspects slowly. You don't even mention what sort of GPS you have to start finding/hiding caches.

You don't have to jump in at the deep end by hiding a cache on your first (or second) day or even your first (or second) month.

Please... reconsider... and go and find a variety of hides first.

Happy caching

MrsB

Better put that I could have. I should just have you do all my speaking for me.

I'm not one who thinks you need to find 50 or 100 caches before you try to hide one, but it might be a good idea to find one or two first.

If it helps, which I am seeing that it must, I have a Rino 530 HCx with full topomaps and full marine maps (Garmin likes to refer to these as BlueCharts, I like to call all their software "GoldCharts", for the amount ive paid), this is my second unit its an exact replica of my first other than newer sotware, I had my other one just over a year and a half before I accidentally threw it away at an ex girlfriends, anyhow I spend a great deal of time out on our coasts flatsfishing out of my kayak and when im not doing that im training by rowing the Butler Lake Chain, so my expertise with my GPS is up to par Id like to think. As for finding lost items by coordinate I was a BoyScout most of my youth and then went into the Explorer Program and had extensive training with the US Special Forces on compass reading. lfe saving etc... I have grown up either hiking and camping in the Blue Ridge or surfing and fishing Florida that is what has brought me into wanting to paricipate in this Geocaching, well cause somedays just want to go for a drive an have an adventure. The importance of 10/17/2010 mid morning which is creeping up on me is that had planned on doing a big row today of the Butler Chain starting at my dock on Lake Down rowing til the end and coming back (19 miles round trip) and I figured what a btter way to start Geocaching by putting a Cache out along my route. I have now been reading the rules on the proper way to hide the Cache and the rules of what this Cache is supposed to hold in it, both the min and the max, and so far everything even down to the location fits within all the correct guidelines. The problem I have had is that where I lve when I pull up local Caches I can look at them on the map and I have lived here so long that I dont find a lot of interest in setting out to a bunch of parking lots or church crosses (especially since I can see that church cross from my back window). That is why I want to hide something, something that is more than just a half star or even 2 stars, I want to start adding challenge to an area of Central Florida where there doesnt seem to be any challenge, im more interested in hiding these Caches than I am finding them, I want people to find and see the stuff around this great state of ours tha they most likely will never see if not given the choice. I guess I will go find a few of these local caches and get an idea of what to do. I guess I better oook up those rules now LOL ive only been studying the leave a Cache rles and not find a cache, im guessing there is probably some mobile app that I shold get in order to record my find huh? Now im confused

I'm kind of indifferent to how many finds someone has before they hide any. However, I appreciate if they have at least a handful because then I know they have dipped their toe into the world of geocaching and get the gist of it from a finder's point of view rather than just the hider's point of view.

I haven't hidden any caches yet as I'm trying to secure an ammo container and spent some of the summer getting permission for the spots I want to hide a cache. I'm also lacking the time to maintain a bunch of caches at this point.

That being said, as a hider make sure you maintain all the stuff you throw out there into the world.

For me as a finder I love to be brought to cool places. But as a finder if someone rates their terrain or difficulty poorly I'm likely to end up ignoring their caches. You learn a lot about terrain and difficulty ratings when you get out there and find some.

And I've been to a variety of caches of people who want to make note of a special place and put a wholly un-special cache (pill bottle, film container etc.). I'm more motivated to go to someone's special spot if I see they have put effort into their containers.

You said you were looking for advice, and I think all the bases have been covered. For the most part, just use common sense. Imagine yourself finding the cache you've hidden. Would you enjoy the experience?

It does not have to be complicated. I only have one cache hidden and it's very easy to access and find ... but not in plain sight. You must use a GPS device to find it (actually Yahoo Maps would work for this one). But unless you were there looking for it I don't think you would find it just by walking by.

For most people, finding the cache is only a small part of it. The greater joy comes from getting out of the house for a few hours. I go with my son. He loves it. I know it "sounds dumb" but he gets such a kick out of trading swag. Usually the caches just contain stuff you'd find at a dollar store. So that is the kind of stuff we trade. He has scored some pretty nice stuff (from his perspective). I just enjoy spending time with him. It is kind of fun to find the cache...I won't say it's boring or anything! Some of them are quite clever. A few have required us to come back on another day...and then we look harder...or look differently...and we find it. B)

It's fun to see people log finds for the cache I hid. It forms a connection. You have hidden treasure that someone else has found. There is something nifty about that. :D Sometimes they'll say "Hey, that was fun." and that just makes my day. :D

YouTube has some great videos by "HeadHardHat" on getting started...including where NOT to hide a cache:

http://www.youtube.com/user/headhardhat#p/u/32/SMqaFfeHTKI

and

http://www.youtube.com/user/headhardhat#p/u/31/NgCzzGu2oHo

are very informative!

Have fun out there!

Tom

As a newbie myself, i agree with the fact that is is essential to find some before you hide one. I have logged 10 finds and 3 DNF's and personally, I wouldn't attempt to hide a cache until I had these finds. I have learned a lot about placement, accessibility, what was fun for me, etc.

You say you don't want to find the caches that are in parking lots, etc, but honestly, give them a try. I have discovered some pretty cool stuff that I didn't know was even located in my town!

For the person who was looking for the ammo can, try eBay. I got a good deal on one, but watch the shipping prices on others. Also, if you have an army surplus store in your area, that is a good place to find them.

I have been doing this for a few weeks now and am really enjoying the sport. It gets me and my husband out of the house and lets us explore new areas that we didn't know existed...and revisit areas we did.

Have fun with it!

As a newbie myself, i agree with the fact that is is essential to find some before you hide one. I have logged 10 finds and 3 DNF's and personally, I wouldn't attempt to hide a cache until I had these finds. I have learned a lot about placement, accessibility, what was fun for me, etc.

You say you don't want to find the caches that are in parking lots, etc, but honestly, give them a try. I have discovered some pretty cool stuff that I didn't know was even located in my town!

For the person who was looking for the ammo can, try eBay. I got a good deal on one, but watch the shipping prices on others. Also, if you have an army surplus store in your area, that is a good place to find them.

I have been doing this for a few weeks now and am really enjoying the sport. It gets me and my husband out of the house and lets us explore new areas that we didn't know existed...and revisit areas we did.

Have fun with it!

The shipping is what is stopping me from getting them on e-bay and other stores. I need to get to one of hte local stores that occasionally get them before the survivalist folks get to them. The survivalists and gun folks buy them by the palate full when they come in and won't give up 2-3 of them for anything (I've tried). No army surplus here just various stores that sometimes have them on occasion but keep it quiet.

Anyhow, back to the topic. You get a real feel for what the various terrain and difficulty ratings mean in practice once you find some. That would be my biggest argument for finding at least a couple just so the caches are rated correctly.

Nothing bugs me more than someone who tosses a cache out in the middle of the sticks and then calls it a terrain 1 because they could get there in 10 minutes on ATV.

I hope to get the answers I need by tomorrow mid morning so that I can go ahead with my plans, cause once I start trust me, im gonna be the one who makes this game how it should be,

Somehow, this is the part that worries me. There are lots and lots of great caches out there! There are caches to meet almost anyone's needs/wishes/desires. No one needs to 'make this game how it should be.' That already exists. Make sure you read the guidelines, and adhere to them. Finding a few caches first wouldn't hurt. This weekend, I hiked in 1.5 miles with a 300' climb to replace a cahe that a bear mistook for a chew toy. Climbed up 200' in .14 to a great glacial erratic (Thanks, Brian.) Found a beautiful pond (especially beautiful with the fall folliage). Gratuitous photo:

cf669493-fc16-4981-8403-4d5b2f1d21d4.jpg

And found what I thought was a great hide behind the Dunkin Donuts.

No need to change anything or 'make this game how it should be'. This game is already what it should be.

Now, go out and hide some great caches!

One problem with someone so new hiding a cache is poor coordinates. Another is a poor cache container. A third is a lame location. And a fourth is failure to maintain the cache for the many years of its life.

It sounds like you have valuable past experience that might help, but I think you'd still get valuable experience if you found some first.

That being said, here is a cache I found in Florida last year and it was the highlight of my vacation! Maybe this will give you ideas. "The Crack" GC12M9M

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Also look through all the images people left. A lot of pictures is the sign of a special cache. People don't take pictures of LPCs!

Edited by michigansnorkelers