Travel Bug Goals ... does anyone read these??? A short rant

Hawk-eye

I have a travel bug that has a simple goal of visiting rev.war sites and returning to Greensboro, NC by this fourth of July ... SURPRISE ... it shows up in England but on a subsequent drop off. Yes this is a gripe! OK I feel better now. Anyone else had this happen?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Yeah, it happens. I try not to let it bother me too much.

I have one TB that's goal was to follow the Prime Meridian south from England to France etc.

Somehow someone misinterpreted the instructions, and it ended up in Canada (Toronto to be precise)!

It's all par for the course, and part of the adventure - I'm looking forward to watching it's journey home. Should be fun!

It can be a bit of a nuisance though - especially if you intend a TB to reach a goal in a certain timeframe, but sometimes it can be just as exciting when it arrives somewhere completely unexpected.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Yeah, I know ... par for the course. It has happened before on my bugs ... but not quite as radical as this one. One bug Hawk-eye Uno has completely circled the globe and several people have worked hard to move it back to a Hawk-eye cache in NC. Should be there this weekend as a matter of fact. But then as in other things some folks pay attention to detail ... and some don't icon_rolleyes.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

I attach a label to the TB so the person who grabs it out of a cache knows what to do with it. In many cases, the bug will not be taken until someone can help move it toward its goal.

Yea...I tried this too! I live in FL> I have Eeyore goes to Texas, trying to make it to a friend in Houston Texas. It went to salt lake city...3 caches, ohio 2 caches, nevada...1 cache and is now headed to Michigan. He has got some frequent flier miles saved up now!

i purposely do not include intructions on mine. paert of the attraction for me is to see where it goes. then again, i also drive around aimlessly just to see where the road goes, too.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

then again, i also drive around aimlessly just to see where the road goes, too.

You do that too huh? Sometimes I'll take a coin, designate tails as left and heads as right, then flip the coin at intersections and just see where I end up.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Turn it around and look at it a different way -- what a cool way for the bug to connect with the Rev War here in the States -- by visiting some sites in the the "Mother Country" where some less physical, but equally heated battles were fought -- Parlimentary debates, recruitments for the Crown of all methods, speeches and pleas for conciliation and finally the declaring of independence from Great Britain... While it's there add some researched specific caches for it to visit which have some relation to the Revolution. My British friends (even those still wearing knee breeches and red coats) generally have a good humor about this, given that 200+ years have passed. After the bug has visited a couple of sites, set the goal of making it back to the states to continue its journey...

As for its July 4th deadline, the Continental Congress never expected the war to last as long as it did... icon_smile.gif

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I have been in this game more recently than others, but I have gathered alot of information in a short period of time. Thanks to one fellow cacher I think I have the travel bug thing figured out.

My daughter and I created our own un-offical travel BEAR by placing a blue DEAD bear patch and including e-mail addy's. He just moved to Virgina.

And to respond to some of the other comments I too just wait and see what the purpose of the bug is after I find it. I take the ones I like and leave the others.

I'm going to bump this topic to the top with my own short rant...

Illuvian has a rather simple goal: caches placed in the first year of Geocaching. Yet, he's mailed halfway across the US to a cacher in Nevada who sets up a brand new level 5 terrain cache in the mountains and stuffs my bug up there. Now it's gonna sit for the next six months until some Geocacher goes insane and tries to find this thing. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

OK I feel a little better now that I've ranted.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Yeah. I have a Lewis and Clark's Journey Home TB that I started out in Long Beach, WA and that I wanted to retrace the L&C route home.

Well, the first guy did a great job, even posting a pic of the bug with the L&C historical near which it was hid.

The next guy sent it to Hawaii. I guess he thought they needed a vacation. It is now in CA.

Oh well. I hope it gets back on track, but I'll try not to take it too seriously.

This is somewhat of a sticky issue. If your bug isn’t labeled so that a finder in the field can identify the goal, you really can’t complain. What I mean is most people don’t read the TB’s goal before they go cache hunting. Most often, they open the cache, find the TB, and trade for it. Later when they get home they’ll see the goal and then shrug shoulders and move it along. I can’t fault anyone for doing this.

The TB’s goal should be considered (by the TB owner) as suggestions only. The finder should make every attempt to move it towards its stated objective, but not be bound by it. It’s rather presumptuous of one person to encumber another with a very narrow TB goal. If I get home with a TB that wasn’t even listed on the cache page when I printed it out and has no objective statement attached, what do I do with it when I discover the owner only wants it to visit caches made of clear Tupperware that were placed on the owner’s birthday? Am I going to sit at my computer for hours determining the nearest cache that fits the goal, or am I going to just drop it off at the next one I find?

I do happen to agree with Markwell’s gripe though. I fume when I find one of my bugs was placed in some out-of-the-way place not likely to be visited again for six months. Now put that together with the above, and imagine your bug with the narrowly defined objective is sitting in a 5*/5*. You’ll be happy no matter who moves it along no matter where.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

This is somewhat of a sticky issue. If your bug isn’t _labeled _ so that a finder in the field can identify the goal, you really can’t complain. What I mean is most people don’t read the TB’s goal before they go cache hunting.

Yeah, I agree. I did my TB on the spur of the moment, so I couldn't label it and have no problem with anyone taking it.

However, when they got home and read the TB goal and saw that my TB wants to go East along the Columbia and Missouri River suystems, they could've dropped it off somewhere within a 1000 mile radius in the Pacific NW rather than sending it to Hawaii. icon_rolleyes.gif

Criminal has a good point: when we send out a TB with a narrowly-defined goal, we are relying on the kindness of strangers. Some strangers don't feel like going the extra mile, but that doesn't make them bad people. I am guilty of the opposite offense: I grab travel bugs, then I hold on to them too long because I feel guilty that my original plan to help them along didn't work, and I keep hoping for another shot. I've learned that it's better to set the travel bug back a little and get it moving again.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

However, when they got home and read the TB goal and saw that my TB wants to go East along the Columbia and Missouri River suystems, they could've dropped it off somewhere within a 1000 mile radius in the Pacific NW rather than sending it to Hawaii. icon_rolleyes.gif

OK, but what if getting home meant returning to Hawaii? (One last cache while we're here in WA before we return home. Oh, look, a TB.) Do they have to wait for their next trip to the mainland to place the bug?

quote:
Originally posted by amazar:

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

OK, but what if getting home meant returning to Hawaii? (One last cache while we're here in WA before we return home. Oh, look, a TB.) Do they have to wait for their next trip to the mainland to place the bug?

Well, if that's the case, so be it. Drop it in a Hawaian cache.

But it wasn't in this case.

Could be that creepy-as-hell avatar of yours, hawkeye. Scared him off the continent? icon_wink.gif

My bugs have a goal of what SORT of site to go, but not a specific location. That way I don't stress too much about it!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"