Wherigo App available for iPhone

Tequila

Yeah I posted that under the pinned topic in the Getting Started with Wherigo section last night

The one cartridge of ours which I tried looks really good but it had a problem with confirming if an answer was correct :signalviolin:

Looks like it will be hard to debug as each build would have to be uploaded to Wherigo.com and downloaded to the iPhone (unless there's another way of getting the cartridge onto it)

Mark

Edited by Delta68

Yeah I posted that under the pinned topic in the Getting Started with Wherigo section last night

The one cartridge of ours which I tried looks really good but it had a problem with confirming if an answer was correct :P

Looks like it will be hard to debug as each build would have to be uploaded to Wherigo.com and downloaded to the iPhone (unless there's another way of getting the cartridge onto it)

Mark

There is another way! The app shares a folder, so you can drag and drop via iTunes. Or you can send me the cartridge or a link to it, and I can do some testing.

Can anyone get me the results of 'Env.Platform' and 'Env.DeviceID' variables while playing under this emulator so I can add it to my device check routine? Is it the same between i-pod touch, i-pad and i-phone? If anyone can get me the info, it would be very much appreciated since I have a device check routine in the cartridge that turns on/off certain functions that I know causes problems on those various devices for better play compatibility. Thanks!

Edited by Woyi and Waya

Can anyone get me the results of 'Env.Platform' and 'Env.DeviceID' variables while playing under this emulator so I can add it to my device check routine? Is it the same between i-pod touch, i-pad and i-phone? If anyone can get me the info, it would be very much appreciated since I have a device check routine in the cartridge that turns on/off certain functions that I know causes problems on those various devices for better play compatibility. Thanks!

Just an update and FYI, I contacted the developer of WherPiGo and got some useful information regarding this as well as some other things that other cart developers might want to know. (excerpting from my email correspondence with him):

Regarding Platform and DeviceID:

For platform, we use the device's system name and version. For example,

"iPhone OS 4.1". For device ID, we use the device's unique identifier. I

hope that helps!

Regarding currently supported class/commands:

But it doesn't support ShowStatusText, so far anyway. It does support PlayAudio and

ShowScreen, but not Command("StopSound"), Command("SaveClose") or

Command("DriveTo"), although Command("Alert") is supported. LogMessage is

ignored. Currently, there's a problem where GetInput with multiple choice

isn't supported, but I hope to get a fix out for that soon.

To paraphase:

• Most Class/Commands ARE supported currently
  • PlayAudio IS supported
  • ShowScreen IS supported
  • Command("Alert") IS supported
  • LogMessage IS supported, but ignored
  • ShowStatusText NOT supported currently
  • Command("StopSound") NOT supported
  • Command("SaveClose") NOT supported
  • Command("DriveTo") NOT supported
  • GetInput is BUGGED, but in the works to get fixed.

Hope that helps folks looking to ensure compatibility in their carts for the new player.

- Steve (Waya)

Edited by Woyi and Waya
Currently, there's a problem where GetInput with multiple choice

isn't supported, but I hope to get a fix out for that soon.

So it isn't yet possible to play cartridges with multiple choice questions?

What is going wrong?

It displays as a text input and does not let a user select from a list of choices. The user would have to know the exact text of each choice to proceed.

I noticed this when I pulled up Whack-A-Lackey. While the cartridge does, technically, work, it throws a lot of exceptions, mostly when it attempts to rename zones (that's my guess because, when the game begins, the default zone names are still used).

There is another way! The app shares a folder, so you can drag and drop via iTunes. Or you can send me the cartridge or a link to it, and I can do some testing.

Could you elaborate? I've been trying to drag and drop the .gwc file into iTunes, but it's not letting me. I'm sure it's something obvious I'm missing.

Has anyone found a way to import compiled carts into the PiGo (formerly WherPiGo) app directly (i.e. without uploading to the Wherigo website)?

I'd really like to know so that I can do some testing on my first cart.

From a post above, although I haven't tried it myself:

Post 4

Edited by Touchstone

I had a user attempt my cartridge with the iPhone app. He figured out, with much frustration, the exact input for all the multiple choice questions. But he was stopped at the next to last phase, where he was to click on various items in his inventory. I believe this could be because I have some duplicate logic. I used Urwrigo. On the items, I originally used the "On Click" event to trigger events. When I found that "On Click didn't work on the Oregon (my testing platform), I copied the logic with a command. No problem with the Oregon or the emulator. I don't know what other paltforms have been used (haven't asked). For info, I'm talking about the cartridge called "Elemental Dragons". Anyway, I'm thinking of deleting the "On Click", and just leaving the command, for each of the Items. Do you think duplicate logic may have cause a problem with the iPhone or could cause problems with any other paltforms?

I have asked for a .sav or .log file, but the user doesn't know how to extract files from the iPone. Is there a way to review cartridge log files from the iPhone?

Edited by g.family

I haven't seen a way to retrieve those files.

As for duplicate logic, so long as you have conditional statements set up to make sure the set of actions don't fire twice, I don't see a problem with it. Regardless, it all depends upon implementation.

It's a pretty, and fitting, place where you have the "Elemental Dragons" cartridge. I'm happy to have played it with someone and read both sides of the story together.

As for duplicate logic, so long as you have conditional statements set up to make sure the set of actions don't fire twice, I don't see a problem with it. Regardless, it all depends upon implementation.

I don't have conditional statements to prevent fireing twice. But it seams like the command shouldn't fire unless the button is pressed. I'll remove "on click" logic. Has anyone verified that the "on click" command works wiith the iPhone app?